got a new puppy and going to do this right

I also like to use corrections to help with clear communications between you and your dog. Some dogs do best on a flat collar, some on a check chain, some on a prong, some on an e-collar- find what your dog responds best to.

I would first start by teaching him what "yes" means. If you're familiar with clicker training, you'll know that when you use the clicker, the dog gets a treat and knows that the click means they did good.

I LOVE clicker training. We use clickers with our dogs. Since the pitch of different clickers varies, each dog has his individually assigned clicker. It makes training so clear and easy. You know exactly what you mean, the dog knows exactly what you mean, everyone is communicating and happy. :D

Congrats on your puppy, Emily! Enjoy!!

Let me see if I can find a video otherwise i will do one myself haha. The biggest question is he food oriented or people oriented? Also when he eats you should brush him and mess with him so that way he doesnt become food aggressive or if you give bones randomly everyone and then take it from him to show that you are boss and you get to do that. Then he wont be aggressive towards food. If he growls you keep the bone for 5 or so mins and if he doesnt just give it back also when you feed and water him make him sit or lay down before upy give
Also if you want him to be able to be off leash without hating yourself I would teach him now. Also take him to stores and public walkways so he knows how to behave sorry for all the info..I have a 11year old st bernard. And 2year old somethings. That I am training now and a 3 month puppy -cockapoo so I have my hands full.

Ok here is a update of what he has learned.
he knows voice and finger comands of sit and lay down,
we are working on leash walking know he also knows come and I am also teaching him focus. here is one of my questions. yesterday my neighbors came (my dogs two favorite people in the world) and they started barking and then my puppy, (we named him romeo, romy for short) started barking too, I think because he saw that the big girls were barking so he wanted to join in. but I quickly redirected him to look at me and sit and when he looked away I asked him focus and when he looked back I would reward him. am I doing the right thing? and also I am just wanting some tips on leash training because he already walks really well . Thanks

Ok here is a update of what he has learned.
he knows voice and finger comands of sit and lay down,
we are working on leash walking know he also knows come and I am also teaching him focus. here is one of my questions. yesterday my neighbors came (my dogs two favorite people in the world) and they started barking and then my puppy, (we named him romeo, romy for short) started barking too, I think because he saw that the big girls were barking so he wanted to join in. but I quickly redirected him to look at me and sit and when he looked away I asked him focus and when he looked back I would reward him. am I doing the right thing? and also I am just wanting some tips on leash training because he already walks really well . Thanks
Sounds good to me!
Just a quick question, are you rewarding with treats? I don't like treat training, I prefer to reward with praise. This is why-
My trainer once told me a story about his dad and his dog Marco.
His dad let Marco out of the truck at the rest area to go potty, and the dog saw a rabbit and took off across the field. The rabbit ran around the fence and into the busy highway. The dog was in hot pursuit. The handler yelled to Marco, "Marco! Stop, down!". Guess what that dog did? Even in hot pursuit of a rabbit, the dog screeched to a halt and into the down position in the field. He them called him back, and Marco listened.
Had that dog been trained with treats he would have been thinking in that moment, "cookie, or rabbit? Cookie or rabbit?" Rabbit will always win. You want reward with praise so instead of saying, heres your reward, your showing them what you don't want them to do (check chain correction, or as you did here applying another command when necssasary) then "rewarding" with praise to show them what you do want to do. Dogs aim to please, and they will figure it out quickly this way. Then the command becomes a command, not a trick that they get a cookie for.
Does that make sense? Sounds like your doing a great job! Your definitely on the right track. :D

I don't agree with that. I know several dogs who have been trained with balanced training (treats and corrections) who perform the exact same way (and happen to excel in obedience and in the field. I can pull them up later to show titles but I don't remember reg names). It's not 'cookie or rabbit' its 'do I have the impulse control and bond with my handler to listen right now'.
In **my opinion**, the best way to train is by communicating to your dog what is good and what is not good. When raising a kid, would you ever only tell them what they're doing well and NEVER ask to change anything? Because dogs and people don't speak the same language, it's a little tougher. Figure out what motivates your dog (a toy? a treat? a game of tug? Praise?) and then mark and reward anything that it does well with that. When your dog does something wrong, give a correction to mark the incorrect behavior. When done correctly, this is communicating to your dog 'this is what I want you to do, you're doing well' and 'this is what I don't want you to do, change it'.

well I'm just wondering because he is already so good on the leash and does not bark at dogs on walks. should I just reward him for being good or should I try training heel and stuff. also we are probaly going to get him professionally trained. also he is very obedient as well.
The dog should never walk In front of you. Their chest should never come past your knee. If you let them walk in front of you it makes them think they are in charge. The dog should never be "walking you". You can teach him heel by walking with him on the leash and if he gets In front of your knee give a sharp tug back and say heel. Make sure there is always plenty of slack on the leash. Training sessions shouldn't be longer than 15 minutes and always end on a good note. If you teach him heel it will be so much easier to walk him when he is an adult.

Thanks again! I tried doing that with my dog, but my family members didn't think it was necessary.
It's SUCH an important cue- say there are fire engines or something coming down the street where you're walking your dog. Instead of allowing your dog to freak out, you can say 'watch' or 'look' and grab their collar and keep the dog focused on you.

Don't let your family members tell you what to train or not- in what way will it harm them or the dog for the dog to have another skill? There's not even a risk to the dogs weight, because you can use kibble to train.

Back
Top Bottom