1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got my Beehives today!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SamG347, Feb 28, 2009.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Went and met with the guy I was getting my hives from...awesome guy and new friend. Got the tour of his Half Acre Farm.....he has ducks...chickens....rabbits...and bees. I love his setup. He said if I would help him with some Raised beds and fencing I could have the two hives for free. I will post some pics once I get them uploaded....great design and exactly what I was looking for.
    [​IMG]

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

pics?

3. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    YEP! [​IMG]

Whole hive...next to bottom half
    [​IMG]
    Entrance
    [​IMG]
    Look into hive
    [​IMG]
    Hive with Inner covers over bars/frames
    [​IMG]
    Roof
    [​IMG]

4. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Way to go! I would love to have bees. I have been reading up on them. My husband would like me to wait until some of our other projects are finished. I know he is right, but I really want some now!

5. CynthiaM

CynthiaM Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    Webster's Corners, B.C.
    SamG. Way to go!!! I am a beekeeper too, I have 9 colonies (well, actually 1 now, I lost 8, whah, whah). Wait until you really get going with beekeeping, you're gonna LOVE it, you will be held under the spell of the honeybee. Have a wonderful day.

6. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

very very cool. its one of the things we want to do when we have more land

7. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    That is the beauty of bees though....you dont need any land at all. We have 2 acres though but the guy we got them from does like 10-20 hives on half an acre.
    Great hobby!
    [​IMG]

8. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    My Pappaw used to have several beehives. [​IMG] So Sam when you gonna send us all a jar of honey? [​IMG]

9. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    LOL we will see. Won't be taking any honey from the hives this year unless the bees really produce. But I doubt I will take any. They will need as much as possible to get established.
    But I'm surrrreeee looking forward to the free honey!
    [​IMG]

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I wish you the best of luck getting your bees started. We need more people willing to take on this task. Check your tax laws, you may be able to write it off on your taxes. Even if you don't, you and everything around you will benefit from your bees. Best of Luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by