grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    Have been struggling with momma Silkie. Her 2 chicks are a week old today. Have had to deal with poopy butt since day 1. When the coop door is opened she will come booking out totally forgetting her babies inside. She is young & first time broody. The thing I notice when watching them is that it doesn't seem like she has taught them to drink. When I check on them I always dip their beaks in the water dish, but they just don't seem to get it.

2. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    I've only got the 4 other Silkie eggs from a second silk that I was hoping would go broody too, but she never did. The one chick that died had only hatched like 5 hours before it died. One minute it was fine, the next minute dead. Good air flow, I think it must have gotten too week trying to hatch. It was pipped for a long time, I had pretty much thought it wouldn't hatch. This other one that is pipped is acting the same way. I have horrible luck hatching silkies.

3. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    have you thought about taking the chicks from mama ? they may be drinking when your not looking and just dont want more. how is humidity in the bator ? the should zip within 24 hrs of external pip. I think some let them go longer but i dont.

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Have you ever read Sally Sunshine hatching guide on here ? she is really good. ton of info on there .

5. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    I have thought about taking the chicks from momma, but hoping she can get it figured out. The humidity is OK in the bator. Just checked it and noticed a piece of shell had fallen off the pipped egg and that the membrane looked dry. Took the egg out, put a little ointment on the membrane and poked a tiny hole in the membrane. Misted the bator & put it back in. Fingers crossed on this one.

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    I dont like the ointment but a lot of people do. glad its making progress ! I just seen your picture. not sure how i missed it before. its a great pic. I like to see steam on the viewing glass when they start to hatch. I just dont trust the hygrometers . after they start to zip it should be under a couple hrs ! a normal zip is about 20 min. [​IMG]

7. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    I don't think it will be long. Removed the top side of the egg. Moistened the membrane, veins look good. Wrapped in moist paper towel, time will tell.

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    you opened it ? LOL you are as bad as me. bet you have to finish it.are the veins gone ?

9. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    Well granny its been nice chatting, I'm going to head for a bath then try to get some sleep. That hasn't been going very good lately. Probably as soon as I lay down the chick will make it out and chirp all night lol.

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    night . [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by