grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
u tube, never crossed my mind. thank you. the owl is gone. she did invite me over to talk, visit with her and the bird. very friendly and so familiar . she said she dont know me though. I liked her a lot but they are drinkers and I am not. I offered the cage and she thought it best he return to his own cage. something about room. then she said something about using it for another animal and i told her no. if she wasnt going to use it for the bird i would just keep it.

Robert just admitted he is "a little attached " to Lily. was kinda hoping he would say no. as this is the first dog he has liked i guess i need to try harder. Hoping Mutt can help me out. on leash all day isnt going to work for us.

Granny, I know you don't want me to break anybody's heart, least of all yours.........

But, if Robert loves this (special needs) dog then he is going to have to step up y the plate here. The only way this fog is going to be house trained is with tough love. When the dog needs to go out (every couple of hours) Robert is going to have to put a leash on her and take her out. Rain snow sleet hail whatever. She HAS to learn that hoing outside is to pee. If he walks her for 10 minutes and she doesn't pee, bring her back in and put her in a crate for an hour and then take her out again.

There is no shortcut to house training dogs, and for me, adult dogs have always been harder for me to house train......

Do you have a crate by any chance??

Granny, I know you don't want me to break anybody's heart, least of all yours.........

But, if Robert loves this (special needs) dog then he is going to have to step up y the plate here. The only way this fog is going to be house trained is with tough love. When the dog needs to go out (every couple of hours) Robert is going to have to put a leash on her and take her out. Rain snow sleet hail whatever. She HAS to learn that hoing outside is to pee. If he walks her for 10 minutes and she doesn't pee, bring her back in and put her in a crate for an hour and then take her out again.

There is no shortcut to house training dogs, and for me, adult dogs have always been harder for me to house train......

x2, if having her is important to him she needs to be his responsibility, he can do this. Leadhing and walking avoids the intended potty break becoming play time or time to refuse to go to the grass in bad weather. Potty time needs to be all business.

Well layed my last grandparent to rest today. It was hard on us all but we all know she's in a better place with no pain. She had the same back surgery that I had. Didn't help her neither. I know she's glad to be pain free now. Really going to miss her.

Too bad about Lily. Maybe Mutt will have some training ideas. The only way I know to housebreak a dog is to keep them confined or on a leash at all times while in the house. Take them outside on a leash every couple of hours and praise lavishly when they pee/poo. Robert's the only one who would be able to do this, it will be really hard without his help. It's going to be a long winter if Lily keeps using your house as a toilet.
hmm.png
(Do the owl people want a dog?)
^^^ ditto Can you block her in the same room with you? I mean always in sight or confined. Tethered or crated if you can't watch her. Usually they won't pop a squat right in front of you. I keep really good treats to give them if they pee or poop outside. Chicken liver hot dog, etc.

^^^ ditto that too.
old.gif
IMO, they have to learn NOT to go inside, that will get punished, but also need to learn TO go outside, that will get rewarded! No play till you potty. Potty = TREAT and freedom, playtime, whatever. I crate overnight, first thing, I leash them up, grab a great treat and go stand in a spot or walk in circles, saying a command. "better go". I wait it out, huge praise and a treat for potty, then let them off lead to do dog stuff. Back in the house loose for a couple hours, then I tether or crate till their teeth are floating. They don't know they CAN hold it, just like babies, so confinement is key. I wait 4 hours or until I hear whining or restlesness, back out on leash with treat, same spot, if they go, treat and freedom (within sight in the house) for 2 hours again. No potty, back on the tether for another hour. Rinse lather repeat. It shouldn't take much more than a week or 2. It's hard though if the whole fam damily won't stick to the plan...

x2, if having her is important to him she needs to be his responsibility, he can do this. Leadhing and walking avoids the intended potty break becoming play time or time to refuse to go to the grass in bad weather. Potty time needs to be all business.
^^^ ditto that three! Take her to the same spot. Potty has to come first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom