grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA

1 person likes this.
  2. prostar

prostar Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2015
    Sunny SoCal
    I'm a fan of crate training. Gives the dog a "safe place", and keeps them from trouble and getting into bad stuff when you're not watching them.

Peach was destructo dog until she was three. She had to be crated whenever I wasn't at home.

3. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    camping, he must be trainable if you have taught him off the counters. very funny video. at least they didnt say theres no hope . [​IMG]

4. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    I like crate training, just not the crate itself (house is too small!). I would use one if that's what it took to get the job done for a particular dog. Belle's bed is her safe place. She gets her treats and tummy rubs on her bed. [​IMG]

5. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Ditto X 10. Respect. No access to the kitchen, no playing in the house, no access to furniture. No begging, I only feed them in their bowl at meal time. I do crate train mine and use the crate as a temporary time out during training. I make the crate a happy place they like to go, but begging, barking, zoomies, 10 min time out during training phase. It's so much easier to start with very few privileges and relax later than it is to un-train bad habits.

6. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]I wish someone lived near you that could help you a little with Lilly!

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    well, I have trained and done tons of reading. just no luck here. no responses from the ads either.

8. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    There was a mountain cur rescue, but they won't help? I forget what you you said about that.

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    x2, I dont remember either.

10. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    We have him crated when we can't keep eyes on him. But we have a big laundry room with plenty of space for a big crate. He's always been a working dog, so he doesn't lounge. That's the hard part. I'm a cat person (chicken person) and I like cat-like dogs who don't give me a lot of attention. Ben needs constant touches and pets and rubs and cuddles. It's exhausting.

We're the same about beds and furniture: they can come up if invited, but they sleep in crates at night. They have to sit and stay at their bowls and wait for the command to eat. No grazing the table or (the toughest) baby hands.

Jewel had zoomies the other day, but we were outside. It's funny to watch.

Ben has slowed down eating. Think he's finally getting full? He's put on some weight in just the week he's been here. I'm going to wait until Tuesday to take a comparison pic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by