grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Lovely!!!!

Our flock had a nice fall day in the woods:
    [​IMG]

Handsome Stranger kept a watchful eye on the proceedings - STILL in love with this guy!
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    This next building has been many things these past 2 years. It wasn't enclosed until this fall. It currently is the bachelor pad for 4 roo's.

[​IMG]

This pen was first made to house baby & juvenile birds during the day for outside time, to keep them safe from the big birds. Hubby repurposed heavy duty shipping pallets to make the 2 cages. One we used as a broody momma cage & the other was used if a bird was injured & needed to be separated. This fall we cut access openings in the back of each of the cages so that they would utilize the grow out pen. Hubby enclosed the grow out pen with some pieces of steel that were salvaged from our back garage that caught fire this spring.

3. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    That's great Mare, my girls loved being able to get back in the thick woods too until the bobcat attacks. Now they have to stay home [​IMG]

4. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    He's beautiful!

5. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Everybody's chickens look so nice. I have a bald molter and a filthy Ameraucana that decided to dust bathe in the rain. Mud bathe? Not enough rain to penetrate very far, so the dust she was kicking up stuck to her wet feathers. Going to rename her Miss Piggy.

Got to go take #2son to work on a school project. Half hour drive from here, too. Guess I will go look for Halloween candy remnants on sale while wating for him to finish.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    That would definitely put a damper on things, to say the least. We have been fortunate and not had any serious predator issues even with having these woods right out back of the coop - thought today they had a close call with a band of rogue chipmunks, lol.

7. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    LOL - we have a few rather ratty looking girls right now too - the phrase "rode hard and put away wet" comes to mind. I feel so bad for them when they are molting, wonder if they have any idea just how awful they look...........
    Happy candy hunting!!

8. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    Wishing I have had a bunch of those half bald birds too, but I cheated. I rehomed a bunch of them making room for next years layers :lau

9. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yep - out of 25 birds in the flock at the moment only 8 are over 8 months old -- the ones that went last week were all looking pretty, um, disheveled.

10. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    Right after we had to go into lock down, then the hawks started to attack. Chicken run has avairy net now as well. Feels like Fort Knox around here.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by