grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    I really want to make or sweet talk someone into a cabinet bator. some beautiful piece of wood like an old Ice chest or such with a glass front . and a place to set a vase on top. [​IMG] have it as a main piece of furniture in my living room.

2. Lynn Manes

Lynn Manes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    California
    Haha!  You are only 400 pages behind now?  On this thread, that's about 2 days worth!  :gig

You must be in the central valley with the heat from Hades.  My grandpa had desert tortoises when g'ma & g'pa lived in West Covina (LA metro area).  They were huge, especially to a 6 yr old.  What kind of art do you do?  I might need to pick your brain on this, because my older son is headed in that direction, which is uncharted territory for us parental units. In addition to the hubby, I've got 2 teenage boys, a senior looking into art as a potential major (hence the questions), and my freshman who started at a technology high school this year.  Also got 2 dogs (Belle & Scooter), 2 cats (Ming & Henry), a mini rex house bun (Chicory), a cockatiel (Rodney), a parakeet (Lupin), 11 bantams (10 Serama and one cochin), and 10 large fowl laying hens of assorted breeds, although "laying" is used loosely.  Lot of freeloading going on right now.  I had ducks as a kid, and am thinking about getting some runners, but not quite ready yet.  You'll have to post pics of your new set up when you can.

Envious of your personal chef!  Cooking is more a chore for me, so I'd gladly hand off kitchen duties to anyone willing!  :highfive:
    [/quote[​IMG]]I'm on several BYC forums. It gets as bad as fb sometimes just trying to keep up. Lol we are in Bakersfield, in the middle of nowhere unless we drive 2 or 3 hours to get there:) I've lived here since 1981 but came from RI. I thought people were nuts saying there's lots to do but you have to drive that far to do it. Of course, I'm used to it now after all these years. Yes, summers are long and hot as like you said. We had only 6 or 7 heat waves this summer. That's 100°+for minimum 3 consecutive days. 8 am getting too old to handle these hot temps. I'd never have thought is be praying for temps in the 70's range especially after moving from New England bc of the long cold and snowy winters. We never have snow here or 4 seasons rarely. We usually jump right from summer to our rainy 50° winters, but this year we are having a small reprieve with Fall temps which is really nice. You sound like a very busy person with still having kids at home and with all your animals. I like to say I'm retired, but we are usually on the go every day or busy with this house with repairs and renovations and with our animals too, of course. I have 1 daughter, 45, who has my only 3 grandkids-Bre,23, Arielle 19 & Nicholas 14. They live in Florida but spent the whole summer, except Bre,who has a fantastic job at a brand new Orlando resort & her first apartment:) My daughter is quite ill, so she had to return to RI for a disability hearing in March and to see all her doctors and have surgery for a 25 yr old hernia; so she spent the whole summer there, plus she m8ssed her family too.Her (in)significant other-(not my favorite person),and son went back bc he couldn't find a job in Fla. And Arielle chose to stay in RI too bc she liked her job there. But Kristine and both kids were supposed to be flying back to Fla yesterday I think it was.Her partner however is staying up North but applying for work in Fla in the meantime. Michael has 2 daughters and 8 don't know how many grandkids
    As they have not been in his life due to a vindictive ex wife. He does now keep in touch with 1 daughter and a grandson and other family members on fb though, but this just came about fairly recently.And yes, I'm thrilled that he does most of the cooking. My late husband and I ate out almost all the time, but even though Michael & I do eat out once in a while, it's not constantly, which we both enjoy staying in. We've been together 2 years and engaged a year.
    Since I've been at it for over 50 years in art, my advice is that if your son does have a talent and it's a real passion, then let him try it. But...art is a difficult field to make money in, bc if the economy is in the toilet, then sales plummet, & bc this is a luxury item business. Plus you have to be a strong business person,so you need excellent marketing skills,& a personality to like to work with people who are very fussy about what they like and expect. If you are shy or do not have sales skills, then be a lawyer or doctor and paint in your off time, bc you won't make a living off this. Ever heard the old saying"starving artist"? None truer than that. All the old masters were starving artists.Most of their works didn't become popular and worth fortunes until after they were long dead. I've often joked that if some piece doesn't sell then it will and I'll be famous long after I'm dead and gone, but my magic number is 96 right now, so there's a ways to go yet. When I turn 90 my number may change.Lol Your son will have to be able to cope with the ups and downs, and expect to have probably several of his "best" works sitting in a closet getting dusty. No artist is going to sell every piece they painstakingly paint, sculpt or whatever. I think the late Thomas Kinkade was definitely one of the best examples of a great marketeer regardless of his personal demons. Also in the art world, it can be pretty cutthroat. Artists have enormous egos. Judges can be harsh critics even just trying to get your pieces shown in galleries or just becoming a member of an art association.But he needs now to start joining some local art associations and getting his work out there to be critiqued & for the public to see. Tell him to get on fb and Instagram and market the heck out of his work, but tell him to be sure he makes copyright statements publicly on each work he puts in a public forum. I sign all my works with the copyright symbol and my name. If they are print copies they also get my copyright studio name on them. There's alot to say but will end this with these facts: that if he wants to excel, take as many courses, some online are free, as he can, and paint,draw whatever he's into every single day. If he's unsure of what medium, he needs to experiment to see which he enjoys the most and feels would be best for him; and finally, keep in mind there are always better artists out there than you, so stay humble and learn from them.
    I am primarily an oil painter but I also paint on feathers. I have dabbled over my last 15 or so years in several mediums. So my portfolio is filled with all genres in various mediums. I love painting wildlife and pets. I've attached one of my little chicken paintings I did on a feather that I showed a couple months back on another BYC forum. I also have a mural of a little chicken family I've painted on a kitchen door. Here's my website if you'd like to see more but it's a very small sampling of what I do. www.whisperingleavesart.com.
    Oh and I like to talk too. Can you tell?? Haha

2 people like this.
  3. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, if I wasn't so far, i'd love to meet ya! DH and I are hoping to leave Ca within a couple years. NC is one of the spots we're considering. I've been all around Hendersonville and Lincolnton, Asheville. Maybe SC Tenn or KY. Might have to settle for AZ.

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Newfie, I spent my last $50. on candy and it was half off. [​IMG] probably got 15 bags of candy and ate 5 pieces. . DH is a candy hound. Im not far behind but it has to be the good stuff.

5. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    newfie, I'd love to have all of y'all too. And do you really think granny save some candy? :lau

Granny that would be awesome.

6. Lynn Manes

Lynn Manes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    California
    Oops,I hope I didn't wake you with my post. I'm a late nighter plus I'm in CA so it's earlier here than in the rest of the country and I tend to forget about that at times. Hope you were able to get a good night's rest:)

7. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Y'all please come to NC. I sure would love to meet you both. Newfies probably the closest to me I think. And she's hours away. Is anyone here closer to NC?

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    BB in a min. I want to see lynns art .

9. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Think I'll check the contest and see if I may win or not. Haven't really looked in a day or two I don't think.

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Lynn, The empty chair, It made me cry. I love it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by