grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Ming, LOL i am always trying. [​IMG] the chick is yellow all over and very cute. it is my own eggs from the very first pair i got . the second chick,(not out yet) is also yellow from what i can see. the 3rd. chick is pipped. [​IMG] thats all . 3 eggs. but , I know where there is more at !!! [​IMG]

2. manychitlens

manychitlens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Northern California
    Thanks for the reply, Granny! Yes, the puppy pads are on top of the sand. They aren't eating at the puppy pads. I took the stick out when I saw it, I think the kids wanted to play fetch with them or something, lol! :) The brand of feed is Scratch and Peck, it's an organic soy free feed, and I definitely have the chick version. :) Their poop isn't runny now of course, and it wasn't bloody or anything. Hopefully it will stay more normal. I was panicking, but I still don't have a clue what caused it! :/

3. manychitlens

Feb 27, 2014
    Northern California
    Yay for hatching babies!!! So this was in your incubator, right? Was it the one someone built for you or the one you bought? So happy for you!

4. manychitlens

Feb 27, 2014
    Northern California
    Camping, I think that is awesome that you have so many chickens, lol!! I would love that. :) You sound like me, we have our own little zoo. 3 cats, an ornery rabbit, 3 dogs (we had 4 until recently for 9 years), 4 kids (ages 7, 5, 3, 17mos), and now chickens. I swear I would be some kind of hoarder if my husband hadn't put his foot down, haha. :) I take in strays, what can I say. :)

5. manychitlens

Feb 27, 2014
    Northern California
    We had crazy storms here today. I know Wishing has mentioned our horrible drought, we have hardly had any rain at all since December or so. We had huge thunderstorms today and even some hail. I had one of the boys home todat, and he went straight out and jumped on the trampoline that was covered in an inch of hail. Had a good old time, but then had some mighty cold feet! :) Hopefully we'll get some more rain but I'm not holding my breath.

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    ohh, getting too warm and drinking more will cause it. it could be something as simple as they fell asleep under the heat light.

7. campingshaws

campingshaws Flock Master

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    Me too! During the summer I'll be overrun with college students. I call them my weekend children. :love

Believe you me, Mr. Camping is none-too-pleased with the number of chickens. He asks me every day which ones I'm selling. :lau is usually my response.

I do have a "flock thinning" list that has 6-8 hens on it, but one has endeared herself to me by being a good broody. And of the chicks we have, I'd like to raise 12-15 through the summer, then keep the favorites. I'd also like to keep the roos to process. We'll see.

Now I've got two questions of my own:
    First, a chick with a problem. One of my SS babies is just a little off. It doesn't stand up as tall as the others, and leans to the right. It also keeps it's head tilted to the right. When it hatched it seemed a little delayed (slept more, didn't bustle around). I have vitamins, electrolytes and probiotics in their water. All the other chicks are fine. Failure to thrive, maybe?

Second, polish. Do the roos grow tail feathers more slowly than pullets, as in other breeds? I'm comparing them to SS roos and cochin chicks.

My 3-week-old SS roo baby just scratched up the bedding and called for the others to come eat. Sweet boy. :love

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    yes, the incubator that Jessshan8 built for me !! my eggs. I must of missed the post where the chick count was up to 54? I dont want to count mine. My DH has offered his cabin to me for the seramas. it is 8x12 i think. fully insulated and runs on its own electric wires/breaker. It is doubled walled, doubled floored. we put a lot into that to turn it into a coop. doubled ceiling. That was very hard to do.

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    the first chick almost sounds like wry neck. is the same vitamins in poli-vi-sol as what you are giving ? I really dont know about the polish. Yorkshire coop would be a good one to ask about that. its about all she raises.

10. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Most of our rain came through last night. The trees are all lovely and green with the dust and pollen washed away!

We only had about a minute of hail this afternoon, but the last storm we had (in January) gave us quite a bit of hail.
    Boys will be boys!!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by