grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here's the door to the run. You can see that when the top is latched, there's a lot of give in the bottom. I had a bungee cord for the bottom, but it snapped a while back. I'll have to rig up something else.

Its fun playing detective!

Camping, the age when a possum leaves its mother is about 6-12 months. At that age, they are about 7-10 inch body and weigh 10-16 ounces. Judging by the picture, I would say that an opossum could easily squeeze trough there. Still, keep an eye out! Generally opossums will give birth to 6 to 9 young in a litter, usually between January and July.

Its fun playing detective!

Camping, the age when a possum leaves its mother is about 6-12 months. At that age, they are about 7-10 inch body and weigh 10-16 ounces. Judging by the picture, I would say that an opossum could easily squeeze trough there. Still, keep an eye out! G[COLOR=222222]enerally opossums will give birth to 6 to 9 young in a litter,[/COLOR][COLOR=222222] usually between January and July. [/COLOR]

Thanks! I found basically the same info. I'm pretty sure it is NOT the one I saw on the front porch, which makes me believe mom may be around. Or not, since they don't seem to have a true territory and just roam from food source to food source. Hopefully I don't have anymore problems. :fl

Granny is your ac fixed ? its 100 degrees here today ..it's cooler in the hens run that outside in the sun so i didn't put them out today .. they are upset with me too..sorry about the possum campingshaws they are mean critters sneaky too..the chicks i ordered are doing great but the 3 easter eggers are not bantams..i have all bantams but i have heard they don't get real big,,they are beautiful.. i managed to get pics on my profile page but dont know how on here..granny you said something bout little trees on my page..i don't see them here.

Yes, it was alive when I locked up, about 9 last night. I had to move it to check for eggs. It was the only one sleeping on the floor of the coop; all the others were up on roosts. I opened the run about 8 this morning.

You can see the fencing here:

It's that wire fencing all the way around and on top, with chicken wire around the bottom. The door is 4 ft but only latches at the top. And I've seen both adult and adolescent possums in the past two weeks. Guess it could have nosed in at the bottom of the door and gotten the chick. I found it in the run, not the coop.

Still have the carcass, but no traps. So y'all think that's too extensive for just chicken damage?

Sorry about your chick and glad you caught the culprit. Isn't it a relief knowing your chickens aren't killer cannibals too?

Pictures, when you reply to a post before you type anything , you see boxes on the top. they say, size -A-B-I-U paper clip-?-pictures- film-smily face- click on the picture one.

Got another one. Much bigger. Hoping it's the mom. It was in the feeder. I shot a hole in my feeder. :/ The chickens are roosted on top of the run, because no one closed them up. :/ So thankful it was in the feeder and not in the juvie coop, which was also wide open. I went out as soon as I got home, at 10 o'clock. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom