grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    {{hugs}} -- I can identify with that with regards to my kids. I grew up with this amazing extended family that was just a huge part of our lives.......and my kids have had the complete opposite experience. With DH being in the military (we met when my DD was 3 - our DS was born 2 years later) staying close to family just wasn't in the cards. We having been closer than 2000 miles apart since 2000 - the in-laws usually visit 2-3 times a year and my mom is only able to make it out only 2-3 years, we have made three trips back to Oregon in that time to visit them (luckily in-laws and my mom are only about an hour from each other so one trip can visit both sides). They have aunts, uncles and cousins they don't even really know - having seen them 2-3 times in their entire lives, in fact my oldest sister and her husband/kids they have never met once. It actually is one of the things that makes me most sad when I sit and think about with regards to all I feel they have missed out on in comparison to the way I grew up.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    I am glad she is home with you ol mare. Time is a funny thing. its either flying or dragging . neither one being what you want. Whatever the outcome I hope she is happy.

3. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Get any signatures ?

4. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    [​IMG]

I have guinea keets!! :celebrate

I've wanted guineas for such a long time. Can they be tamed at all? These are totally wild.

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] They can. with a ton of work. lots of holding, cuddling, ect... I talked to a member on here seems like a lifetime ago [email protected] Starkasm Hers would ride around on her shoulders. LOL But dont be surprised when they become sexually mature if they change on you.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The ones I kept penned eventually understood that I wasn't there to eat them every time I went in the pen, but if I did anything strange, like look at them, they were terrified. My son hung some leafy branches across the back of the pen and they would run under them and hide. They never did become tame.

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    mine didnt mind me and would stand on my feet when i was outside. but god forbid if i moved anything around in the yard. they would scream for hours. Their favorite treat of all time was white millet. training them to come to bed was easy with that in a container that i would shake at sundown.

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    what happened to your Enola ? I had the neighbors males take up here for the winter then come early spring I thought they had all died. come to find out they are at the neighbors.

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    they need more protein then chickens.. flock raiser, meal worms. 18-22 %

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

When I got divorced, I left them with the Ex!

I have guineas here, they actually belong to the neighbors, but they stay in my barn or in the tree beside it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by