Graphic Picture.....Deformed chick at 22 days in bator..(Dead)

A little late, but just wanted to comment. I've read on here that some chicken breeds carry the "lethal" or death gene. I had chickens when I was a kid, then again as an adult and never before heard of something like that. They were in my hatch group and posted about it. You seem to have a mix of chicken breeds and it may have been simply the genes of that particular hen. For instance someone posted they lost a lot of their hatch of EE's because of the lethal gene. I don't know if that is what happened to your chick but thought I'd put it out there. I know the bantam Japanese carry a short leg gene that is considered a big no-no. That has more to do with showing and exhibition than death but I was surprised that a hen could carry the gene for short legs. I understand genes and such but not something like a bad or lethal gene! There was probably nothing you could have done to "make it better". Sorry for the loss. It's hard to wait so long for eggs to hatch and something like that happen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom