Great Pyrenees and gators

Godsgrl

Ostrich wrangler
12 Years
Aug 27, 2007
at the zoo usually
I had no idea a Pyrenees could do this! From another forum I visit:

Rio and another dog (I think it was Jamison or Zeus?? theres been so many fosters) actually killed a 5 gator on my property. I was out by my agility fields and saw Rio throwing something up into the air in the sheep pasture. I thought it was a big snake. I raced out to save the dogs and by the time I got there, one dead gator was laying by Rios feet. She was quite proud of herself. I couldnt find a mark on her but she has a very dense, heavy coat. And the gator did leave,, via a bucket and shovel.

Gator story #2 for Rio which just happened a few months ago I got a call from my neighbor saying that my big white dog was playing with a gator ON my agility equipment. Of course, I go flying down there and Rio has another gator and it is on top of the agility dog walk (long plank thing). She is really mad at it and they are having a biting war. I kept trying to grab her but the gator was so violent I was afraid I would get bit. She eventually knocked the gator to the ground and I grabbed her tail as she dove for it. The gator ran under the A-frame. I took Rio to tie her up away from the gator and to grab a camera J. After a few pictures, I chased the gator away with a rake. I have no doubt Rio would have taken care of it too!

ep.gif

We have been thinking about getting one as a livestock guard dog but were told the tend go anywhere they please allot. We have 20 acre's but we are surround by cow pastures with fairly large hurds so we dont want something that is know for going off on there own. Does anyone know if this is true about the breed? As a breeder I am a firm beleiver in doing research before you get a animal so that what im doig
caf.gif

Quote:
They have that reputation around here. A lot of people here have goats and swear by Great Pyrs but caution that if they are not raised with the animals they're supposed to guard that they will wander quite far from home.

Back
Top Bottom