Green and Spalding chicks

I have noticed that some green peafowl breeders have greens that have good color but they look a little short to me. I was wondering if inbreeding was creating this issue, as well as climate. I didn't realize that first and second generation greens were already having this happen to them. That is no fun.

Read Mountain peafowl recently posted some photos of a wild India Blue peacock and a wild Imperator peacock. I know that the wild India Blues are tall, but this photo really helps show how much just India Blues have changed in captivity:

So maybe we can't always keep green peafowl looking like they do in the wild, but I don't want it to get to the point where if you want a green peafowl you will just have to settle for a spalding. Anyways hopefully I will be getting some green peachicks with Zazouse this year so that I can finally speak from first hand experience on the greens.
I spoke with my DH this morning and if the USW strike ends before my trip to pick up the American greens i will be coming home with a pair or trio of imports if Josh has any available when i get there.
clap.gif

Minx was there a noticeable difference in the Americans verses the imported?

Minx was there a noticeable difference in the Americans verses the imported?
Zaz I am sooo excited!!!
wee.gif

I hope you can get some of the imports as well.
clap.gif

On farm day 2014 AugeredIn and I were talking and he said that the imports walk taller. If you re-watch the Rocking BAB Ranch video right at the 1:47 mark, you might be able to see the difference:
This male in the video is an Imported male, and you can tell by the way he walks - very upright and he keeps his neck up too. The American greens walk more like an India Blue. The Imports walk with more pride in their step. I think Reinhold once mentioned that his imported Imperators from Friedrich in Malaysia have a certain prideful appearance. They are more regal.

The imports might be a little taller too, although they might appear that way because of how they carry themselves. It is easier to just be there and see the difference yourself. I think back in 2013 when I first saw all of the green peafowl I really had trouble telling which were the imports and which were the American Greens. Some of them I could tell for sure such as the Burmese I knew were imports, but I never knew for sure until I was able to run down Josh and he told me which pens are the Imports and which pens are the American greens. Pens 25-33 are all Imported Green peafowl. I did notice that Josh switched pens for at least the friendly Pavo Muticus Muticus male because in 2013 he was not in the pen with a tree inside and in 2014 he was, so I can't really say what pen specific birds are in.

Augered In nailed it on the head. Period . Anymore you try to get a bird or birds with the traits that are appealing directly to you and sure of course everyone wants a pure. I ve been to Joshs place several times. There are Americans and many other greens at his place I would take way over them imported birds and by a long shot, thats just me of course and my opinion. We all like what we like.

I would like to have both the imports and american and would like to have a genetic comparison done, Americans started out as imports long ago and Josh stated he purchased the imports to do a comparison when purchasing Americans so he would be able to best tell if they were spaldings or pure by looks as there was nothing else to go by here in the states plus he purchased his stock for reputable breeders of greens
wink.png

I would eventually like to add the imported green blood to my Americans to freshen up the blood line, while i think the spaldings are so beautiful like Dillansmom has, i have no intention of breeding them here, i want greens for greens only
wink.png
If i like them enough and they do well i may sell way down on the bread and butter blues and focus mainly on the greens
big_smile.png
and if i find later on that i can free range greens i may do away with the blues all together
wink.png

Here young pure Pavo muticus muticus at 4 month old :

Very pretty who owns these beauty's? I would love to see more photos of them
clap.gif

The Americans i will be getting will be much much younger so i get to watch and see what i have in the way of males and females as they reach 6 months of age, the imports will be older i am sure but we will see what is available when i get there.

Here young pure Pavo muticus muticus at 4 month old :

Are those yours?

Very pretty who owns these beauty's? I would love to see more photos of them
clap.gif

The Americans i will be getting will be much much younger so i get to watch and see what i have in the way of males and females as they reach 6 months of age, the imports will be older i am sure but we will see what is available when i get there.
I keep forgetting that the green peachicks will be small. I keep picturing them around the size of the ones Dany showed probably because that is the size they are whenever I see them at Farm Day.
roll.png
It will be so much fun watching them color out!

Those birds are on a friend farm where I bought my green peacock. This blood line is coming from Wolfgang Menning .
I have 2 peahen 2013 male and 2014 which is much larger than females.
Green peacock sexual dimorphism is more important than Blue peacock sexual dimorphism .

Zazouse, it 's not better to buy ONLY peacocks from imported birds and nothing like green "American"peacock.
That way ... later you will be known as the Lady who has green peacock "imported blood "!

Yeah i agree with Dany, if you got the chance to get some imported birds even if just one bird it will be better to mate them together, no matter what you will do to improve the American green blood line the people will still say they aren't imported.

But i would suggest you to only start with American green and see later if you are okay with green peafowl or not, before spending a lot of money on imported birds, raising green peafowl seriously different than raising blues.

Last edited:
Yeah i agree with Dany, if you got the chance to get some imported birds even if just one bird it will be better to mate them together, no matter what you will do to improve the American green blood line the people will still say they aren't imported.
In the beginning the Americans started from imports , i do not care if people consider them Americans even if i breed them to imports, i am wanting to improve the bloodline, money s not my goal the bloodline is.

But i would suggest you to only start with American green and see later if you are okay with green peafowl or not, before spending a lot of money on imported birds, raising green peafowl seriously different than raising blues.
I will be making one trip only so i must get what i want at the time i make this trip, i am not one to travel and do not leave the farm unless it is an emergency. If there are no imports to be had at this time then i will only have Americans. when i raised horses it was nothing to pay 2500 to 4500 dollars for a foal that was just born, all because of the bloodline
wink.png

I understand Greens are not the same as blues that is why i want them it will be another learning experience for me and i embrace these things, i am looking forward to what they can teach me.

Back
Top Bottom