Green Skin Around Wound

Dhealey

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 10, 2014
One of our chickens was pecked to the bone on her head a few days ago. We washed his wound with soap and water, and then put Neosporin, hydrogen peroxide and other antibiotics on her head. She seems to be eating and drinking fine, but there is a concerning green tint on her skin.

It may be hard to see, but there is a green area there. Any suggestions?

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

My guess is that the greenish area is bruising of the skin and flesh, which is normal if she was pecked pretty hard on the head. As long as she's acting normal, eating, and drinking, I wouldn't be too concerned. For more answers, though, you may want to post in the Emergencies section: Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures

Good luck with her!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry about your bird. Keep up with being clean and using some sort of saline solution. Neosporin is great to use too. Just keep an eye on her and if she starts to look like she has an infection, you may need to start the antibiotics. Wyandottes has left you with the link to our emergency section.

Make sure to mix her back into the flock very slowly from a cage for 3 or 4 weeks so she doesn't get bullied again.

I hope she makes a full recovery.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help

Sorry about your bird!
hugs.gif

Two Crows and Wyandottes have given you great advice. Good luck!

I think it is just bruising like with people, the skin can be purple then greenish, then yellow before it goes back to normal. I wouldn't use anymore peroxide on her, it really burns . A saline solution followed by Neosporin (NO CAINE) should be fine for her. If her wound gets infected , stinky, oozing pus etc. she would require something stronger.

I think it is just bruising like with people, the skin can be purple then greenish, then yellow before it goes back to normal. I wouldn't use anymore peroxide on her, it really burns . A saline solution followed by Neosporin (NO CAINE) should be fine for her. If her wound gets infected , stinky, oozing pus etc. she would require something stronger.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your injured bird. Like the other posters said, the green is probably just bruising. Watch out for further signs of infection (swelling, pus, etc.), but don't worry too much about it. Chickens have an amazing ability to heal.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom