Grit vs Oyster Shell Question

Maybe an inch or so? If we haven't mowed in a long time (i.e. first mow of the season) we usually toss all that in the compost bin, because we can get some pretty long pieces, like 6", and I've seen my chickens try to choke those down regardless of the length.

Maybe it makes a difference what type of mower you use. My mowers cut and recut the grass clippings on their way to the bagger. I don't know if it's even possible to have a grass clipping 6 inches long on my mowers. But, I typically cut my grass when it is about 4 inches tall and I have the mower set at about 2.5 inches. In theory, the longest grass clipping I would ever see should be the top 1.5 inches.

Fortunately, I have never seen any crop blockage due to eating grass clippings in my birds in the 3 years I have been feeding grass clippings to them. I wonder if there have been any studies on chickens eating grass clippings, and what is more likely to cause a blockage - long grass or just the quantity of grass they eat?

Fortunately, I have never seen any crop blockage due to eating grass clippings in my birds in the 3 years I have been feeding grass clippings to them. I wonder if there have been any studies on chickens eating grass clippings, and what is more likely to cause a blockage - long grass or just the quantity of grass they eat?
Maybe a combo? Thankfully I only had one instance with one bird, and it wasn't severe. A little bit of mineral oil and a light crop massage cleared it up.

Thankfully I only had one instance with one bird, and it wasn't severe. A little bit of mineral oil and a light crop massage cleared it up.

OK. I ask because I hear of these stories of chickens getting blocked up from eating grass clippings, but after 3 years of feeding grass clippings to my chickens, I have never had a problem. I guess until/unless I have a problem with feeding grass clippings to my birds, I will continue to give them as many grass clippings as they want.

BTW, in keeping with the original post on this thread, I had to bring in my grit feeder for a little bit of maintenance. Somehow the chickens managed to break off the bottom cap of the PVC grit feeder and everything emptied on the floor. I cleaned it up last night and let it dry out. I'll be hitting the cap with a good amount of hot glue and get it put back together tonight. No big deal as the chickens are now outside in the chicken run and can get as much grit as they want from the ground.

@gailbelanger , here is a pic of my homemade DIY PVC grit and calcium feeder.

1651363709226.jpeg

It's just some 2 inch PVC pipes, about 12 inches long, with some PVC elbows. I used some scrap wood to make the holder which I hang up in the coop about 6 inches off the floor. At the time I made it, about 3 years ago, it cost me less than $2.00. I don't know how much it would cost today. Anyway, the PVC elbows limit the chickens to only getting their head into the pipe to eat the grit or calcium. The feeder is gravity fed, and I just refill it from the top. For my 10 chickens, I have to refill these grit and calcium feeders maybe once every 3 months.

If you like a simple DIY project for yourself and/or kids in the family, this is a nice project to make. Very easy.

@gailbelanger , here is a pic of my homemade DIY PVC grit and calcium feeder.

View attachment 3086835

It's just some 2 inch PVC pipes, about 12 inches long, with some PVC elbows. I used some scrap wood to make the holder which I hang up in the coop about 6 inches off the floor. At the time I made it, about 3 years ago, it cost me less than $2.00. I don't know how much it would cost today. Anyway, the PVC elbows limit the chickens to only getting their head into the pipe to eat the grit or calcium. The feeder is gravity fed, and I just refill it from the top. For my 10 chickens, I have to refill these grit and calcium feeders maybe once every 3 months.

If you like a simple DIY project for yourself and/or kids in the family, this is a nice project to make. Very easy.
Thank you!
What a great idea.
I had found some containers around the house and have gone through about a cup a day for both. I've seen them flinging it around.
I'm definitely going to make this.
Oh about grass clippings. Grass clippings is great. I read if they get really long pieces of grass that's when they could have trouble. 🙄

I had found some containers around the house and have gone through about a cup a day for both. I've seen them flinging it around.
I'm definitely going to make this.

I like the PVC feeder design because only the head of the chicken can get inside. That significantly reduces them from scratching out the grit and calcium with their feet like they can do with an open dish or pan. Again, for 10 chickens, I only have to refill my grit and calcium feeders about every 2-3 months.

Oh about grass clippings. Grass clippings is great. I read if they get really long pieces of grass that's when they could have trouble. 🙄

I use a bagger on my riding mower, so all I get is shorter grass clippings. I have never had a problem with my grass clippings. If you have long grass clippings that you might worry about, I would suggest just running them over again with the mower to chop them up another time.

I have 53 chickens and 36 in brooders. I'm thinking I might get away with once a month...maybe.

I made my chicken grit and calcium feeders out of 2 inch PVC pipes and elbows. But, you can take that same design and upgrade it to 3 inch or 4 inch PVC, and you could also make the storage pipe longer (I made my 12 inches long, but you could go 2 or 3 feet, etc...). Point is, the design can be upgraded to your 53 chickens as you need. You don't have to make small 2 inch PVC feeders like I did. That size just worked for me for my 10 chickens.

We're feeding DuMOR 16% Layer Pellet Poultry Feed.
Unfortunately we don't have stones, rocks, sand or anything in our soil. Just clay that gets cement hard as the weather warms?
I was thinking of getting a dump truck full of gravel.
I was just wondering about the oyster shell because it's the same size as grit.
A tote bucket of sand mixed with 5/8 crushed with with lots of fines in it will serve two purposes. Grit and a nice dirt bath.

Back
Top Bottom