Grocery Stores

TillinWithMyPeeps

Waiting for Spring...
11 Years
Aug 22, 2008
Ohio
Does anyone have an agreement with the local grocery store for old/expired produce for their chickens?

Is it a chain grocery store or a small independently owned one?

no..but..i'm gonna be trying it soon!...my friend works in the Walmart bakery....i am going to ask her about the produce dept.....i know she'll give me any left overs if i just ask...
smile.png

Yep we do, we just started last week. Geez the stuff they throw away. We get all kinds of pies, cakes, donuts, rolls, bread and produce. The girls see me coming with a box of that stuff and they are flying up on the box trying to be frist in the box, picking at my feet, they go crazy when I dump that box of stuff out on the ground. I go thru it frist and get any paper or trash out of it before I head to the coop. My neighbor lady is manager at the local subway and she is saving me their stuff now, I got my frist bucket this evening, it had tomatoes, peppers, shreded carrots, apple slices and I dont know what all in it. I cant wait to see what the girls do when they see all of that. I think they are eating better then me....................

No harm in asking but it's illegal in some places. I know a lot of members, including a few private rescues, on a guinea pig forum were trying to get the old or leftover vegetables and fruits and were told by the store it was not allowed by local laws. Worries that you might actually eat expired or rotten food yourself and get sick.
roll.png

Very true Akane, thats why I didnt tell the name of the store Im getting stuff from. It helps if you know someone on the "inside". Im glad you brought that point up. One store told they would NOT save it for me, but at my own risk, I could get it out of the dumpster. ................

Ruffle................its all FREE.........some days we need a truck to haul it all home, some days it just 1 box.......you never know......I dont know yet what day/s is the best to go get it, we are still new at this, so time will tell..........

I use the side entrance to the parking lot at our grocery store. There is always someone either throwing stuff into the dumpster or a homeless guy there digging stuff out. I guess I could ask if they would save it for me in boxes, but then I would be depriving the homeless of a food source
smile.png
Or I could dumpster dive too, but honestly I am not that hard up, so I don't think I would.

Here is another idea:
My grandpa used to raise hogs when he was alive and he had a deal with the school system. He provided large trashcans for them to dump the uneaten food in. He would go by daily and pick up the full cans and drop off empty ones. You would be surprised at how much we would pick up a day, there is tons of wasted food. The hogs tasted good to me. However I am so picky and organic I would not do this. I bet many would still do that, even in a smaller amount if you asked.

Back
Top Bottom