GROSS WARNING!! BUT NEED Help!! Blood sac still attached to baby chick.

It’s weird, I would say just let it dry out and don’t touch the chick to much. Keep it warm for now and in a day or two introduce food. You can give it some electrolytes if it takes it. Again I wouldn’t handle it at all, it could cause it to bleed again.

it doesn’t look like yolk?I don’t see yellow? But it might be a hernia.Is there any yolk that you noticed ? As for why it happened, it’s unexplainable for now, it can be genetics or many other variables l.

Definitely did not look like yolk to me. Was all red and veryyyy bloody at first (streaks of blood all through the incubator, I was sure she wasn't gonna last an hour even).

She's back in the incubator with the others, I turned lights off to avoid them pecking the remaining bits, but they are now mostly hidden by her fluff.

I can't bring myself to cull until she stops walking around, but keeping a close eye, as I don't want her to suffer either.

Will take more photos in about an hour and thanks all!! Even if she doesn't make it, I feel more prepared to handle the tragedy.

Ah man that's rough. I don't have any advice as I've never encountered this. What is the breed? The legs are an interesting color

She's a Silkie. Crossed with Novagen one generation back (higher content silkie). Her other sisters from the same eggs are healthy as can be too.

Definitely did not look like yolk to me. Was all red and veryyyy bloody at first (streaks of blood all through the incubator, I was sure she wasn't gonna last an hour even).

She's back in the incubator with the others, I turned lights off to avoid them pecking the remaining bits, but they are now mostly hidden by her fluff.

I can't bring myself to cull until she stops moving, but keeping a close eye, as I don't want her to suffer either.

Will take more photos in about an hour and thanks all!! Even if she doesn't make it, I feel more prepared to handle the tragedy.

it’s likely a hernia , I’m sorry. I know the feeling of not wanting to put down a little one. I would keep it separated from the siblings, because it could accidentally get stepped on and tear.

it’s likely a hernia , I’m sorry. I know the feeling of not wanting to put down a little one. I would keep it separated from the siblings, because it could accidentally get stepped on and tear.
If you can put her in a little container in the incubator, lined with paper towels or something, that might help. That way, she can see her siblings but they can't get to her and she can't move around too much and injure herself, but she can still walk.

Good call! Moved her out again. Tried to get a short video to show the wound again... But can't seem to upload it. It's getting more and more dried with every moment.. looks like it's going to fall off? Is hanging by just a little cord now.

Not getting my hopes up too high... but does she ever seem fine! Bright eyed and alert and so fluffyyyy .

Good call! Moved her out again. Tried to get a short video to show the wound again... But can't seem to upload it. It's getting more and more dried with every moment.. looks like it's going to fall off? Is hanging by just a little cord now.

Not getting my hopes up too high... but does she ever seem fine! Bright eyed and alert and so fluffyyyy .
You have to upload the video to YouTube and then link it on here. That's good that she's bright and alert!

Well I officially can't just say it was bad luck. :(

Our second last egg (hatched on day 21, entirely different breed and egg colour) also has the exact same issue. Very large bloody attachment left after hatching on its own. I have proceeded with the same measures but this one is not thriving.

What would potentially cause this to happen more than once? Doesn't seem likely to be genetics.

I'm running a pretty fancy incubator. The Brinsea Ovation 56 EX that has digital humidity and temp control... And auto turns the eggs. Ended up with only 29 fertilized eggs out of the initial 56, so wasn't even crowded either.

The humidity did spike a LOT when five hatched within the same hour. I saw it hit 87... But I was told NOT to touch the incubator until all had hatched or I hit the 48 hour mark. I really held fast to the rule, as this was my first hatch.

Should I have opened it a bit to release humidity? It was only set to 65 for the entire lockdown but usually hovered around 70-75.

Back
Top Bottom