GROSS WARNING!! BUT NEED Help!! Blood sac still attached to baby chick.

Mothacluckerrr

Chirping
Feb 25, 2020
I've seen this answered in other threads but am not positive how to diagnose if this is an unabsorbed yolk or an umbilical hernia.. or something else entirely. Very graphic pic I'm sorry, but I don't know wat to do. I did NOT assist hatch (I swear) but I removed her from the incubator after she pushed herself out, as she was bleeding all over the others and they were pecking the sac. She's in my heated closet with 70 percent humidty and 37C temp. I don't have high expectations but wondering if I attempt to use any medications? Styptic powder? Cornstarch? Any suggestions appreciated... Hard to just watch her struggle.

Attachments

• 20200626_170100.jpg
    20200626_170100.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 126
This is a sad case and I would euthanize the chick.
Ah was really hoping to avoid this. Is my first hatch ever so wasn't stupid enough to think I could ever assist hatch ... But THIS HAPPENED ANYWAY.

She honestly seems okay. Can walk and move. If she goes lethargic I will euthanize as I know it's better than suffering... But okay to wait still for now? She's 6 hours post hatch.

Does anyone know what causes it too? Were my temps or humidity off? 29 other chicks hatched without any issues in this same batch!

It’s weird, I would say just let it dry out and don’t touch the chick to much. Keep it warm for now and in a day or two introduce food. You can give it some electrolytes if it takes it. Again I wouldn’t handle it at all, it could cause it to bleed again.

it doesn’t look like yolk?I don’t see yellow? But it might be a hernia.Is there any yolk that you noticed ? As for why it happened, it’s unexplainable for now, it can be genetics or many other variables l.

I've seen this answered in other threads but am not positive how to diagnose if this is an unabsorbed yolk or an umbilical hernia.. or something else entirely. Very graphic pic I'm sorry, but I don't know wat to do. I did NOT assist hatch (I swear) but I removed her from the incubator after she pushed herself out, as she was bleeding all over the others and they were pecking the sac. She's in my heated closet with 70 percent humidty and 37C temp. I don't have high expectations but wondering if I attempt to use any medications? Styptic powder? Cornstarch? Any suggestions appreciated... Hard to just watch her struggle.

Ah man that's rough. I don't have any advice as I've never encountered this. What is the breed? The legs are an interesting color

Back
Top Bottom