Mother Duck stepped on piped duckling before it was ready and baby was halfway out with bleeding and yolk sac still attached.. 😣

AmyA248

Songster
Jun 20, 2022
Good afternoon to all, I hope everyone is enjoying a long awaited Spring. 💐

Anyway, as promised I have not intervened at all with my girl Taylor’s new clutch of 8 eggs. She has been taking wonderful care of her eggs and everything was looking great until this morning.
I’ve been keeping a close eye on her since it is day 34 (they are Muscovy’s)
I went out this morning to discover what looked like mom stepped on an egg and cracked open the entire air cell. She was picking at the egg and appeared to be trying to get the baby out. There was blood seeping from the egg so I immediately grabbed it and took it inside to assess the damage. Baby is alive and trying to finish hatching, but after looking inside the egg I can see that the yolk sac is not absorbed and there is bleeding but I don’t know from where!
I immediately cleaned it up and but baby who’s bottom is still in the shell into a plastic cup sitting upright, lined with a soft hanky to make her comfortable.
I’m afraid to mess with it too much to find out where the bleeding is coming from. Baby is peeping and really wants to come out, but I think I made it impossible to hatch out fully.
I don’t know how long it takes to absorb a yolk sac and since I don’t know where the bleeding is coming from I can’t attempt to stop it.
So far the bleeding is not coming out of the egg, and I have her in the incubator, but since she’s been outside I don’t know if she should be or if I should let the air dry things out.
Adding some pictures to ask if I did this correctly.

Thank you! 💕

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 13
When this happened here the shell was crushed all around the duckling but the duckling was still in the egg so to speak. I brought it in and put it in the brooder in a small bowl with soft wash cloth and waited I finally just started chipping away little bits of shell at a time till I could see the yolk was absorbed so I left the duckling to finish. I haven't ever had one with yolk out still but I'd def wait to help any more until the yolk is all absorbed. It's not ready to be completely out of the shell. Can you gently pick up the duckling to check where the blood is coming from and still be able to keep it in the bottom half of the shell?

Back
Top Bottom