Grossest thing I've seen the chickens eat yet

Mine recently killed a frog in the garden, then fought over the carcass by chasing each other everywhere as they snatched the dangling dead frog from each other's beaks. Nasty! They picked the carcass clean, and we had great enormous eggs the next day. So gross.

In the last week, they've killed two voles who've ventured into their run, but they aren't eating them. I just find their little bodies, pecked to death. Must not taste very good!

Amy

sickbyc.gif
After reading this board I dont think I will ever be surprised at what chickens fine delicious!

sickbyc.gif
Eeewww! Now that is a bit gross, even for me!

Today my middle son was getting some dirt from a part of the yard, he found at least 60 grubs, the Delightful Dozen loved it - such a protein feast!
Humm, are they still "vegetarian fed"? Do I have to reveal all the protein they get if it a natural source?

When I hear "Vegetarian Fed" in reference to animals I tend to think about not being fed any animal byproducts (I.E.- bone meal). Basically vegetarian animals are eating vegetarian food. Chicken on the other hand are omnivores (to some extent), they eat bugs and some eat snakes.
D.gif
All you have to look around BYC to find the things they will eat. As far as I know the label "Vegetarian Fed" applies to the food you give them, I wouldn't worry about bugs and stuff they find on their own.
jumpy.gif

This isn't gross,but my chickens ate hot dogs yesterday.I didn't know they would eat meat.I learn something new everyday just watching them....They are a hoot !

A friend of ours has a pond stocked with fish. He hangs raw meat in a cage about six feet above the surface of the water. Flies land, maggots drop into the water. Boom. Instant fishing bait. DH is convinced we should do the same in the coop for the girls. BTW- this is NOT going to happen.

Mine got a baby bird that fell out of a nest. Gross, running around with a naked bird in their mouth! This has happened twice. I took it away both times.

Ellie

Last edited:
Quote:
That's truly terrifying... nobody really knows what goes into hot dogs so your chooks win the prize for the most dangerous meal...

Back
Top Bottom