Grossly swollen, fluid-filled waddle- rooster

I don't find any fowl cholera reports in your state. However, if you have any lakes nearby with a lot of migrating water fowl, your chances of this being fowl cholera is greatly increased.

The only other causes of swollen wattles is an insect bite and frostbite. Too early for frostbite, so it may be an allergic reaction to an insect bite. I would try treating for this with children's Benedryl liquid. The dose for a chicken is .5ml directly into the beak. If needed, a second dose may be give 24 hours later. These instructions are critical as it's easy to overdose if any more is given.

I sure hope he gets better. That has to be uncomfortable.
We’ve seen lots of canadian geese flying over lately, maybe that’s it!

I’ll try the benedryl. Should I also try to drain it?

I was thinking possibly Avian Flu, since the symptoms also have similarities.
Oh man. I started out thinking this was just an injury, but it’s looking like much worse than just that 😱 I’m gonna be sick if I lose my flock, so soon, too. Just got into poultry in April...lotsa 💵 later, here we are

Oh man. I started out thinking this was just an injury, but it’s looking like much worse than just that 😱 I’m gonna be sick if I loose my flock, so soon, too. Just got into poultry in April...lotsa 💵 later, here we are
Poultry keeping can throw a hard 180° unexpectedly sometimes. It's not always easy.

Where in Missouri are you? I'm just outside Kansas City, near the Missouri River and lots of flyover birds. Please let us know what you find out.
South central, Howell County. No reports of avian flu, but it’s looking like cholera 😳

Poultry keeping can throw a hard 180° unexpectedly sometimes. It's not always easy.
I’m going to hope for the best here, but this is going to make me feel like not trying again if I run into this type of issue right off the bat; if cholera is caught this easily from flyover birds, I wonder how anyone keeps their flocks alive?!

I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm in MO too, the SE area but not quite in the Bootheel. Carter county. Is a vet an option, in order to get a diagnosis? Blood work, perhaps? Please don't get discouraged yet. Didn't @azygous say it could be an allergic reaction to an insect sting? Many of us here have had chickens for years and years with only minor issues. Don't throw in the towel yet!

I’m going to hope for the best here, but this is going to make me feel like not trying again if I run into this type of issue right off the bat; if cholera is caught this easily from flyover birds, I wonder how anyone keeps their flocks alive?!
Nothing wrong with trying again. It's all a learning experience.
Sometime this year, I had a Buff Orpington hen come down with what looked like bird flu, all the symptoms fit. I put her down immediately. Good news is none of my other birds got sick. I gave them a 1-2 week observation period, to watch for symptoms.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm in MO too, the SE area but not quite in the Bootheel. Carter county. Is a vet an option, in order to get a diagnosis? Blood work, perhaps? Please don't get discouraged yet. Didn't @azygous say it could be an allergic reaction to an insect sting? Many of us here have had chickens for years and years with only minor issues. Don't throw in the towel yet!
Thank you for the encouragement! I’ll check around for a vet and see how much it might cost. With my luck, it’s cholera, but definitely hoping it’s something more minor!!

Back
Top Bottom