I'll be interested to see if these root because the branches you took look to me to actually just be leaves. You buried the petiole, which is the leaf stem, but which in most plants will not be able to root or grow a new stem and become a new plant. But some plants will grow from only a leaf, and I was curious if tomatoes are one. When i grow tomatoes from cuttings I always cut a stem which had at least a few leaves of its own and a growing tip on the end.

I'll be interested to see if these root because the branches you took look to me to actually just be leaves. You buried the petiole, which is the leaf stem, but which in most plants will not be able to root or grow a new stem and become a new plant. But some plants will grow from only a leaf, and I was curious if tomatoes are one. When i grow tomatoes from cuttings I always cut a stem which had at least a few leaves of its own and a growing tip on the end.

The stems had multiple leaves on them. I had plucked them off to bury/stick the stims in as deep as possible. It is much deeper than just the leaves. The stem I had buried was 4 inches long and had 2 branch nodes growing on it. I had to pick the leaves off in the area I was burying.
th

Had to grab that picture online because I am with my grandparents.
Also
th

They looked kinda like that, but a lot bigger and more healthy with nodes on it.

OY! The OP stated several times that she cut part of a stem and that can't be seen because most of it is buried. They are not just leaves. :old

I'm going to try this. I just bought a nice healthy tomato plant. Thanks for the tip.

Np and thx. I hope it works out well for you! Btw, I am a he not a she :lau
Make sure it is a healthy branch. Cut it close to the plant and assure it has 1 or 2 nodes on it (A split/bulge in the middle of the stem with leaves popping out). Those are usually where the roots come through best. Moister and surface is key.

Ahh, apologies, I truly am sorry. I am usually laid back, chill, and joky, but today I am just edgy. Today isn't the best of days. Again, sorry
I'm sick with some stomach bug so I get that... I just cut off a branch on one of my tomato plants and was thinking I should've planted it yesterday, instead I just tossed it. I wasn't thinking that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom