Grow light in coop

HensInTheForest

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Minnesota
We are transforming the middle bay of our pole barn into the chicken coop and cutting a door out the back for the auto door to the fenced run.

Any light inside the coop will need to be added artificially.

We have a 600 watt professional grow
light we are not using since we only start half the plants we used to and would like to repurpose, Metal housing top with glass shield plate underneath. We can vent it out so heat would be removed in our 2 hot summer months or switch up summer to another option as well. Can even pick out what wave length we would want, not sure that matters much. Was thinking more of winter light plus extra heat source.

Coop is sizing up at about 15 x 10 or 15 x 8 with 20 birds.

Thoughts? Has anyone done anything like this here?

No we will have lots of venting up above their roost bars.
I love the L and U shape roost and tray photos Ive seen here.

Many of the plans have come from posts here we know how important vent is.

No photos yet still a dirt floor we are building it in the next 3 to 4 weeks and just starting.

Question is posed for lighting considerations only at this time.

Agreed that may be true, we have a lower wattage one we can run also. Think it's a 350. We can put it on the Solar panel so its free regardless. So wattage not really an

A much smaller light bulb would probably be fine (60 to 100 watts, or one of the newer style that give "equivalent" light for even less wattage.) A common rule of thumb says the light should be bright enough to read a newspaper in the coop, and any brighter is not needed.

If you use the really bright light, it might be uncomfortable for you to work in the coop (light in the eyes.) If it is uncomfortable for you, it might also be uncomfortable for the chickens. You could make the light shine at the ceiling or at one wall. The coop will still be quite bright, but the light will not shine directly in the eyes of you or the chickens, so it could be more pleasant.

The only other points I can think of are heat and electricity use, and I see you've already addressed those.

Question is posed for lighting considerations only at this time.

If there is already abundant natural light from the venting, what benefit do you intend to gain from the artificial light?

A much smaller light bulb would probably be fine (60 to 100 watts, or one of the newer style that give "equivalent" light for even less wattage.) A common rule of thumb says the light should be bright enough to read a newspaper in the coop, and any brighter is not needed.

That's not a rule of thumb I've heard before, but it makes sense.

Chickens are creatures of the forest floor -- a place of filtered light and dappled shadows.

That's not a rule of thumb I've heard before, but it makes sense.
I've found it in books published back when lighting chicken coops was relatively new. I've also seen it repeated and reprinted at various points since, but it has probably fallen out of favor since so few people read newspapers now!

Back
Top Bottom