Growth in chicken's mouth

I think that would need to be removed. If not, she may not be able to drink and eat. If it were me, I would get that off and treat as dawg stated.
Good luck!
I would definitely remove it, but that's just the was I am. Pus/plaque removal is not for the squeamish, it will probably bleed.

-Kathy

So...I mashed up a 250mg metronidazole tablet I had and mixed it with water and sucked it up into a syringe. I was able to get that down her throat, slowly but most of it. That was at about 1pm. I went back out to give her more water before sunset and it could be my imagination, but maybe the mass was
slight smaller? Would a dose of the meds make a difference that quickly? A very kind vet looked at the picture and she thought it might be a tumor and suggests I bring her into her office tomorrow. Thinking I need to treat the coop water regardless, just to be safe. Is copper sulfate harmful? Also, I have some chelated copper sulfate...is that different from acidic copper sulfate?

Got it. This might be a dumb question...can you still eat their eggs if they have to be treated with the copper sulfate?

I think there is a small amount of copper sulfate in their lay pellets and/or crumbles, so I would say that you can, but don't quote me on that, lol.

-Kathy

There are no dumb questions here! :) I don't know anything about it, but it says "not for human use" on the package. I bet Kathy or Dawg will know.

There is no egg withdrawal after using acidified copper sulfate. I'd be more concerned about the metronidazole egg withdrawal period, IF there is one. I cant locate it.
I haven't seen that either, but I can't imagine that she is still laying as sick as she is.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom