1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Growth on tail feather oil gland

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JavaRIRChick, Mar 31, 2016.

1. JavaRIRChick

JavaRIRChick New Egg

Mar 31, 2016
    I picked 4 hens up today. They are my first laying birds. I got 2 RIR that are 4 months old and 2 Javas that are 3 months old. The Javas are a third the size of the RIR. Is this normal?

When i got home i saw that one of the Javas were missing a lot of feathers and has (what looks like) a growth around her oil gland. What can I do?

All input welcome
    Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. JavaRIRChick

JavaRIRChick New Egg

Mar 31, 2016
    Thank you! Here is a closer look at it. There are several feather pores involved. Do i just try to pluck them all?

[​IMG]

4. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    With my chickens
    I agree. It sort of looks like it's alittle plugged up with preen oil

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That's not an ingrown feather, but an infected preen gland. Try some warm compresses, and then I would lance it with a sterilized needle, then squeeze out any pus that is there. Apply some antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn on it afterwards. I'm glad that you showed a closer picture. It looked like a feather, and I thought the preen gland with higher up on the back. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by