Guess who I just found in a nest box???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Oct 24, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Went out to open the shutters on the coop and guess who was sitting nice-as-you-please on a nest box?
    THOR! (my sub roo). [​IMG]
    I've asked my SO to please have the birds and the bees (and chickens!) talk with him. [​IMG]

2. tamemeg

tamemeg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    My one bantum rooster does that too, he takes turns in each of the 4 nesting boxes....maybe he's confused...LOL

3. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    LOL.

My roo used to sleep in the nest box with the girls.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Maybe the hens sent Thor in to see if he could hatch those really hard eggs (golf balls) cuz they weren't having any luck with em. [​IMG]

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Sometimes, I think a rooster will jump up into a nest box to encourage the girls to lay. He'll cluck and stomp all over in the straw or whatever you have in there for them and squat a little to show the girls how nice the nest is. [​IMG]

Of course, then you have people like my little brother, who, when he was three years old, picked up one of my enormous roosters and stuffed him face first into a nest box, commanding, "Rooster, lay an egg!" [​IMG] This was years ago (he is now 20)...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by