Guineas eating chicken feed

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by CrzyChicLady, Dec 16, 2010.

1. CrzyChicLady

CrzyChicLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    My 10 week old guineas are sharing a coop with the chickens right now. They seem to be getting along just fine (will keep my fingers crossed). My question is how do I make sure they are eating their higher protein feed and not the chicken feed?

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    They will instinctively eat what their bodies need. If they need the extra protein then that is the food they will eat.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've always fed the guineas the same as the chickens, I've not had any problems. I wouldn't worry about it [​IMG]

4. CrzyChicLady

CrzyChicLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Thank you. I figure in the summer they will definitely get plenty of protien with all the pests in the garden but worry about these cold months.

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I am new to Guineas too. I am glad you asked this question. Mine free ranged this summer but have moved in to the coop with the chickens for the winter. Everyone is getting along great and now that I know they will do fine with chicken feed I feel better about it. Thanks!

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yeah, don't worry too much about them, they'll eat what they need. Mine would rather have corn or bird seed in the winter than any other feed. [​IMG]

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I feed everybody Purina Flock Raiser 20% protein. from hatch to point of lay. Maybe a bag of medicated chick starter for the first week for chicks but that would be it.

8. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    All of my guineas live off of 16% Layena as adults but they do free range so they get the extra protien they need. In your case, the chickens and guineas are eating eachothers feed i'm sure but it won't hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by