Guineas or Bantams??

Embyr

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
I have been considering getting a few guinea fowl (2 or 3), since I'm interested in finally getting to raise my own poultry since we bought a house last autumn.

I was looking at guineas since they're such great bug eaters and we seem to have a TON around here, not to mention a nice tent catapillar infestation going on. However, we only have a quarter acre, and even with a large coop and pen, I'm wondering if the guineas would be happy enough here, or if they really need to free range to be content? We were planning on letting them out to roam the yard when we are home to watch them, but the rest of the time they'll have to be in the pen. Also planning on hand raising the keets, and treating them like pets.

I'm also concerned about the noise level with these guys since reading more about them and hearing people say they can be extremely loud!

So, I started researching bantam chickens, and am wondering if anyone thinks this would be a better option for us? Due to our lack of space, noise level, etc... plus, on the upside, it seems that they lay more eggs than guineas? Fresh eggs would be very much appreciated here.
smile.png

Would love any feedback anyone has to give!

Thanks!

~Megan~

guinneas will wander all over area if not penned up. Plus they are noisy....but they do eat bugs.

Bantams will thrive, lay good in spring/summer and quit in winter. They are fun but not real good for production.

Any suggestions for other types of chickens that are good to keep in small areas, docile, and good egg layers would also be appreciated!
smile.png

cochins--very friendly, not real good layers, love to go broody. Love them.

Wyandottes--have them now, decent layers, don't go broody real easy, assortment of color patterns. Very friendly

Light brahma's--good layers, friendly, not real broody.

then there are all type of assortments with different looks like silkies (love to go broody), polish, etc.

Good luck in deciding........the hunt is the fun...

If you are wanting eggs just for yourself and not to sell I would get Old English Game Bantam Hens. I have 2 and they have been really good layers for me so far. But I'm not sure how they do in the winter months. Their eggs are small so you go through more but like I said if it's just for you....

We have nine RIRs and one guinea hen that we had to put in an enclosure because we had a noise complaint from a neighbor fairly far away (Mo wandered - oops!).

Our property is like a little slice of bug free heaven in spite of a very wet winter, a pond behind our house and a river behind that. I swear it's because of our birds - even though they're all in enclosures. Our guinea hen, Mo has something to do with that, but I'm certain that our RIRs do a fine job as well.

I should also say that Mo adapted well to her enclosure and would have done even better if she'd been there growing up. We'll do better on our next five now growing up in our living room . . .

I should also say that our neighbors love us for helping out, especially with mosquitoes and ticks.

I love bantams, and only have them, but I would suggest larger chickens for free range. Free range bantams are just so snack sized to many predators.

For our farm, we have found that cochins work great for keeping bugs in check and they lay fairly well too. We also have guineas ~ but indeed they are LOUD! Great for bugs and ticks, but we couldn't have them if we had neighbors. You might give the cochins a try ~ you will love their personalities, so curious and sharp!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom