Guns n Stuff

Quote:
I think the point here is that we aren't hunting coyotes, we're protecting our chickens from them. I don't know about the rest of you, but my chickens rarely get more than 50 to 75 yds away from my house. At that distance a 22mag or LR would probably take them down or at least cripple any predator enough to get close to finish them off. With enough practice--which is cheap enough with either rifle--and the use of a decent scope, one could get proficient enough to get a killing shot in on a standing predator that was stalking or doing damage to one's chickens inside of 100 yds. On the other hand, most shotguns be they 12 to 410 gauge are notoriously inaccurate at anything but close range. I'd think your chances of taking out one of your chickens would be about as good as whatever was after it.

Quote:
I have read all the replies and in fact posted one myself, however, no one has asked the caliber of the DHs rifle. I'm wondering if it is a heavy barrel or standard weight? If it is a heavy barrel, no wonder you think it is too heavy for you. To save on ammo differences, why not buy a lighter weight rifle in the same caliber? Remington has several models to choose from that come in the same caliber. Their Model Seven comes in both .223 and .243 which are excellent coyote rounds out to any distance you are likely to be shooting around home. The Mod 7 comes in compact and full sized, so it should be light enough and easy to handle.

However, I do not know your situation and rather it is safe to fire in any direction from your home, so, for just about any other critter you have in your area, the .22lr or 410 shotgun would do you fine and not cause as much danger from a long range bullet hitting something you didn't intend to kill.

On a different note. Even though I have no problem killing varmints, I mostly go by the, "Live and let live" theory. Two coyotes passed right by my chicken lot about a week ago and did not bother to try to enter, it's fenced. I didn't bother them, they didn't bother me. They serve their purpose in the wild kingdom. I have, when I was younger trapped about anything that lived in my area for the fur $.$$. Only a few times did I trap because I was asked by a farmer to try to get rid of foxes or coyotes. Any time it seemed like if I would catch a problem animal, others would just move into the area and take over. Trapping only seems to keep the surplus from over populating an area. Raccoons, opossums, skunks are the three main pests around here that I do try to control as they are less human shy and sneaky when bothering the chickens. I live-trap them when possible. That is when a .22lr is a handy way to relocate them to an S3 location. I also have a story I could tell about a family of foxes that took up residence within 100 yds of my back deck. We'd watch them walk right passed the chicken tractor and not even bother to stop and look or trouble the hens at all. Just because the critters are there does not mean they are a threat to your animals. I hope that is some comfort.

I have not read all the posts but I suggest a 22 rifle. There are many different sizes and styles available, my mother in law shoots a youth model which is smaller for her but she is still deadly accurate with it. A .223 would also be a good choice but can be harder to come by, at least here they are.

You have a lot of choices and not everyone will agree on the best. Much depends on what kind of budget you are working with. I feel most people if affordable are best served by a few guns, but IMO the shotgun is the most versatile. You have to remember unless you are going to bait, or stalk your predators they mostly going to come around in the dark.

Quote:
I don't know what .22 you've been shooting
tongue.png

I deer hunt with one, Shot the last one in between ribs in the lung and out the other side. Deer walked about 30 feet and dropped dead. And that was my first time hunting too. It diddnt kick at all which was nice for me. I'm pretty sure its a ruger 10/22

This I have difficulty believing. You, my friend, are either an incredible shot (given the folks on here, that's quite possible), or you're thinking of the wrong gun.
lol.png
I'm just trying to picture bringing down a deer with a Ruger 10/22... Now, I could see it with a Ruger Mini-Thirty, or even a Mini-14, but a 10/22? Forgive me for being a little skeptical, but I think you can see why I might require some convincing.

Well, My dad is a collector of guns so I have been shooting since I was fairly little, even if back then it was only holding onto a gun and pointing it while dad did the actual shooting.
wink.png
I was second best shot in my handgun carry permit class which was this year. And yes, I just confirmed I DID use the gun I thought I used. With as many as dad has here sometimes I bypass the whole ask exactly which gun this one is.

Particularly in the case of this one which was fairly interesting. I go out, let the chickens out. See the deer, deer see me. Deer don't care. Hurriedly walk back in, ask for gun and proceed to walk back out to coop and wait for deer to get closer, then wait and wait some more for the deer to turn sideways. Shot the deer, saw it jump straight up then watched it walk up the hill that was behind it and stop behind a tree. Needless to say, I was thrilled to have gotten my deer. I'm not sure if the gun comes with a scope already but this one does have one and I recommend having one unless you just like doing things the hard way.

Quote:
I don't know what .22 you've been shooting
tongue.png

I deer hunt with one, Shot the last one in between ribs in the lung and out the other side. Deer walked about 30 feet and dropped dead. And that was my first time hunting too. It diddnt kick at all which was nice for me. I'm pretty sure its a ruger 10/22

I don't suppose there is a picture to go along with that? And you don't know what type of .22 it is? wow

Steve

You can look up above for my reply to why I wasn't 100% sure it was the gun I thought it was, we have two we keep out of the safe. I'll see if my BF has a picture from his phone, Though I'll pm it to you since I'm sure if he did it was of me butchering the cleaning and processing something everyone else probably does not want to see. I'm not particuarly quick or good at doing so just yet.

Of course like said. I have been target shooting since I was old enough to understand that what I was holding could NEVER be pointed at a person. I'm not exactly your average person that shoots once a year because they want to show off to friends. If I plan to pull the trigger on a gun I will hit what I shoot and if I shoot I know what is behind my target at ALL times.

My bullet went through the meat between the ribs on both sides. If there hadn't been a forty foot high hill behind my deer I wouldn't have risked it passing through and hitting someone's home. Owning a gun of any type can kill unintentionally by someone missing a shot or it passing through. That's something anyone intending to dispatch predators should remember. Especially the smaller the animals in question get.

If anyone else needs photo evidence I'll be happy to go out and find the two holes in the hide hanging in the barn and take a picture of the furry side only so that its not a graphic picture.

Lady in Red- I totally believe your story. I, too, have been a hunter, marksman and gun collector since I was 8 years old. As far as killing deer with a .22LR, shot placement is everything. It is illegal in many states (as it is here) because many folks are not that good a shot. I personally know someone who has killed more than 20 deer with the .22 single shot rifle given to him by his father for Christmas when he was 12 years old.

Although a number of people have been quick to jump in here and offer advice on this caliber and that caliber or their personal favorites, almost no one has bothered to ask more questions. I would hate to say this is best or that is best without first finding out more information.

What is the gun her husband bought that is too large and heavy?
What distance is she wanting to shoot?
What all kinds of predators is she wanting to shoot?
What kind of area is she located in?
How big is she? Tall, long arms, short body, short arms, small hands etc?

So without knowing more info, but addressing the coyote issue I would say I have dispatched a number of coyotes with different guns. I only use a centerfire caliber for them. If a coyote is close enough for me to dispatch using a .22 LR. then it's already too darn close. The closest coyote I have shot was 70 yards, and most of them are out at the 200-250 range. My personal favorites are .223, 22-250 or my 220 swift. (not that I would recommend that one... very expensive ammo.) .223 are relative inexpensive for a centerfire.

I have .223 savage that is relatively lightweight, easy to shoot and no noticeable recoil. The other thing I like about it is the accutrigger. That thing will spoil you. Of course a scope at those distances is pretty much essential.

For most smaller varmints the ranges are more likely to be closer (Heaven forbid! Raccoons and possums in the coop!) For that, I definitely would stick with a .22. There are many, many out there. Get one that fits you and you are comfortable with. If it costs a little more, it's worth it to get something you are comfortable shooting. Again, my personal favorite is a lever action Marlin 39A in the shorter Mountie version. That's what I always grab during a small varmint invasion. No scope necessary at those distances, even since I'm to the point I need bifocals.

I would recommend you go to a reputable shop and get a feel for different sized guns as far as fit. If the gun doesn't fit you, it never will be easy for you to shoot, especially in a rushed varmint situation.

Feel free to PM me if you would like.
Good luck to all varmint hunters!

Quote:
As a woman the AR-15 is a VERY easy to use rifle and VERY easy to handle, it also works really well at close range as well as get you out there a ways, it also is handy in that it can carry 30 rounds at a time for multiple targets. I also have a Mossberg 20g bantam shotgun, it's a youth/ woman's model easier to handle wieght wise/shorter stock but kicks pretty good. I am much better shot with the AR than the shotgun!! I might add I only have the iron sites on my AR no optics...yet lol. I got the gun from CMMG in MO, very well put together gun, rivals hubby's Bushmaster but was considerably less $$. ALL firearms take regular practice plain and simple, no way around it if you want to hit what you are aiming at!

Back
Top Bottom