Guns n Stuff

I'll say it again because there have been so many posts on here, the .17 HMR is the way to go. It shoots flatter than a .22 Mag and is not nearly as loud as a centerfire. Within 100 yards it is deadly on coyotes and foxes and even more deadly on smaller varmints such as raccoons, possums, and groundhogs. I for one don't want to be breaking out my 22-250 everytime there is something that I need to get rid of. I do have neighbors, albeit far away, and I don't think they would appreciate the noise created by my centerfire on a regular basis. I also worry about the over carry of such high velocity rounds as my .22-250 or my .243. The .17 HMR kills everything I need it to, from Starlings to Coyotes and I can shoot golf balls with it at 150 yards, it quiet, and ammo is cheap. I've seen quite a few AR suggestion on here, and that's a pretty funny recommendation for someone who just wants to scare off some coyotes. An AR is $1000 WITHOUT Optics, a quality scope will set you back another $500, way overkill for the OP's needs.

I'll not knock your .17 HMR, as I have shot a couple myself that were deadly accurate. My personal complaints are that wind plays havoc with the ultra-light bullets at long distances, and the ammo is a bit more expensive than .22 magnum ammo. That said, I can't think of anything the .17 will do that the .22 mag won't. I buy CCI Maxi-Mag hollow points at Wallyworld for $10 per fifty.

I also agree that an AR is overkill for just dispatching the occasional pest, not only in power but in cost as well. I have an AR, but I don't use it for varmints, though I dearly want one of the new Remington AR varmint rifles in .243.

Last edited:
Best coyote, wolf round is the .223

M14/Ar platform is hands down prefered by a majority of Coyote hunters.

I have used a .220 swift and 7 mag for long shots over 300 yds.
A .30-378 at over 600 yds.

Lots of coyotes and a few wolves.

Rim fire are not allowed in many of the states I have hunted.

The 10/22 is only used for chucks and tree rats.

12. ga has never let me down for close encounters with any varmint, including bears. 30 yds or less.

just my.02

Quote:
Yup, I have to agree on cost and availability of .22 mag over the .17 HMR. May not be near as flat but under 100 yards and for what the OP wanted a rifle to do for her. Those AR remarks kind of had me ROTFLMAO. I could see her wanting to drop 700 to 1000 bucks for a AR and learn how to handle it, just to scare away a few 'yotes. Sure would scare away any two legged critters while the DH is off over the road though. While I do think the .22 lr I use is rather on the light side, I'm sure it would either put the coyote down or have him headed for the next county. Luckily I have never had to use my .22 on anything bigger than a raccoon. I personally keep my chickens in a fenced in yard and any coyotes I've seen skirt the area by a reasonable distance.

Last edited:
Quote:
Again OP wasn't hunting either wolves or coyotes she was just defending her chickens from them. In NYS it is illegal to hunt deer with any kind of rimfire but perfectly legal to use on for coyote hunting.
BTW, How many bears have you shot with a .12 gauge?

Woodmort, I think you may have talked me into buying a .22 mag, just for those times my 10/22 seems a bit light. You think a lot like my older brother when it comes to the .22 magnum. He has one rimfire rifle - the .22 mag, he has one other rifle a pre 64 win mod 70 in .270. He has had all manner of people want to buy that rifle, but I don't think he would even sell it to me. However he does not have any chickens and I don't think he ever did or ever will.

Ruger used to make a 10/22 magnum, I'd be interested in one of those, or the Marlin bolt action would be a second choice. I'll have to look into that.

Im back in this with my .357 Mag Marlin lever action. Rossi makes one, too.
The more I listen to Woodmort, the more I like it.

So, thats it - stick a fork in me, Im done. I'll not go on any more about calibers.

Now as for the whys of shooting coyotes, and the responsibilities behind them...

Last edited:
12. ga has never let me down for close encounters with any varmint, including bears. 30 yds or less.

A shotgun is pretty useless if the coyote is in the middle of your flock, or is more than 30 yds away, unless you don't mind shooting the chickens too​

Last edited:
Quote:
I haven't seen one of the Ruger .22 mags in a while. I prefer a bolt-action anyway. For a quick repeater, the Wincher 94 in .22 mag would be nice.

I have the Marlin 882SSV....stainless steel, heavy barrel. I love it, except that Marlin's scope mounting is the same as on their regular .22's.....just the little groove for the clamp-on rimfire rings. I have a 1" scope on it, but the way the receiver is cut out for the bolt, you have precious little area to mount the rings. Now Savage makes a very similar rifle, the model 93, available with heavy barrel (http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93FVSS) or standard barrel (http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93FSS ). These both have Savage's famous Accu-Trigger, which is s-w-e-e-t...Also, the Savages have built-in scope mounting bases, ready for 1" scope rings. That's a definite plus over my Marlin.

Last edited:
North Carolina recently made it legal to hunt whitetails with a .22 rimfire and since then I have taken several around my home. They are perfectly capable. Its all about shot placement. This is intended for close range though. I would not attempt it beyond 100 yards.
The NC wildlife resource commission did so to allow folks to hunt and slim the growing deer population in sub-urban areas where deer numbers have recently sky-rocketed.

I have the .22 mag as well and it has that much more power to go well beyond 100 yards.

Shoot straight.

Back
Top Bottom