Guns n Stuff

Look, I'm not an advocate for the .22 mag. I just think if you're not into hunting for big game and need a handy piece around to chase off varmints it is a nice gun. Most are reasonably priced, no kick back so you can shoot it alot and ammo is cheap so you can practice a lot with it. The other reason is when I went into the local sporting goods shop and asked what was the best for coyote protection that's what they recommended with little hesitation.
ETA: I came away with a Stevens 305 with a Tasco scope 3X -9X -40. Fairly light gun with composite stock but shoots well. Whole thing was around $300 (250 for the rifle and 60 for scope).

Last edited:
I'll chime in with my opinion: I'm a big fan of the 22LR bolt action. You can find a good one inexpensive and the ammo is cheap enough to practice to proficiency. As others have mentioned Shot placement is what counts. The 22LR does have a variety of rounds you can get from a CB long (good for trapped animal dispatch) to a 22LR shot-shell (good for barn rats, wear goggles) to high velocity and hyper velocity. A bit of practice with targets out-back (or range) will give you the techniques of "Kentucky windage" and drop for the various rounds and distance. My Kids learned with a youth "Chipmunk" single shot bolt action, then moved up to a full size bolt action. Surplus eggs make great targets at a distance, the kids always liked exploding them.

P.S. I've shot from a 32cal flintlock and 54 cal muzzleloader to my 30.06 Ruger for deer. My Son has a 17 HMR which is fine, but my 22LR has filled the stewpot far more reliably. Experience and practice shows up these whippersnappers every time, my off hand 22LR has outshot his scoped bipod supported 17 HMR every time to his disgust. (for pot filling, that's a lot different from holes in paper)

Quote:
I haven't seen one of the Ruger .22 mags in a while. I prefer a bolt-action anyway. For a quick repeater, the Wincher 94 in .22 mag would be nice.

I have the Marlin 882SSV....stainless steel, heavy barrel. I love it, except that Marlin's scope mounting is the same as on their regular .22's.....just the little groove for the clamp-on rimfire rings. I have a 1" scope on it, but the way the receiver is cut out for the bolt, you have precious little area to mount the rings. Now Savage makes a very similar rifle, the model 93, available with heavy barrel (http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93FVSS) or standard barrel (http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93FSS ). These both have Savage's famous Accu-Trigger, which is s-w-e-e-t...Also, the Savages have built-in scope mounting bases, ready for 1" scope rings. That's a definite plus over my Marlin.

I looked on the Ruger website for that 10/22 Magnum rifle, but couldn't find one listed, might have been discontinued. They do make the 10/77 bolt gun in 22 mag. I already have Savage in in .308 w/accu-trigger. Sweet is true, Savage has a lot going for them. Only thing is, it would have to be the one with a removable as I wouldn't have one with a tubular mag. I looked at the Marlin also a tubular mag. That savage link looks like a possible. Guess I say "Thank You" about here.
smile.png

Quote:
Both the Savages I linked have detachable magazines. Actually, the Marlins with tubular magazines aren't that bad....they give you more capacity, just slower to reload. I have two extra mags for my Marlin, for a total of three, holding seven rounds each. Haven't emptied them all at the same varmint yet.
wink.png

Quote:
Kind of an availability issue with those, isn't there? The 5mm does seem to have an edge over the 22 mag, but the ammo is higher and the real problem is finding any rifles chambered for it. I found this link http://www.rvbprecision.com/photography/remington-5mm-magnum-5mm-craig.html which explains this issue of the 5mm. It was originally put out by Remington to try to do away with the 22 Winchester magnum. Only something like 32,000, (according to the link), were produced and ammo, when you can find it is more expensive than the 22 mag. The cartridge does have a lot going for it, but finding a reasonable priced rife might also be an issue. When WalMart starts selling them, I'd say yeah, it's in the running. The Lady (OP) just seemed to want to scare more than kill anything like a coyote with the ability to maybe kill smaller pests. She even mentioned a pellet gun. While there are some wicked pellet guns out there, a good .22 LR would be cheaper to buy and not that much more to shoot factoring everything in.

Quote:
Kind of an availability issue with those, isn't there? The 5mm does seem to have an edge over the 22 mag, but the ammo is higher and the real problem is finding any rifles chambered for it. I found this link http://www.rvbprecision.com/photography/remington-5mm-magnum-5mm-craig.html which explains this issue of the 5mm. It was originally put out by Remington to try to do away with the 22 Winchester magnum. Only something like 32,000, (according to the link), were produced and ammo, when you can find it is more expensive than the 22 mag. The cartridge does have a lot going for it, but finding a reasonable priced rife might also be an issue. When WalMart starts selling them, I'd say yeah, it's in the running. The Lady (OP) just seemed to want to scare more than kill anything like a coyote with the ability to maybe kill smaller pests. She even mentioned a pellet gun. While there are some wicked pellet guns out there, a good .22 LR would be cheaper to buy and not that much more to shoot factoring everything in.

Your right but you can get the ammo at cheaper than dirt. I have one here on the farm & use it to shoot hogs with. I have a surpressor on it so its quiet so I can shoot more than one at a time. Its way more accurate than any 22, 22mag.

Since shot placement is so essential to any predator control, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the use of "shoot through" scope mounts. Most predator attacks will put the shooter in a position to take a shot at a moving target. Shoot through mounting rings give you the option of using either the scope or your iron sights. If anyone has tried to keep a moving target in view using a higher powered scope, you know how tough that can be. Iron sights are the best option at pulling off an accurate shot at a moving target.

I use these mounts on all of my scoped guns. I'm also another person in favor of the 22 mag. Most of your protective incidents will occur within 60 yards or so, and if you can't effectively smoke a 'yote within that distance with a 22 mag, a howitzer won't help you.

I don't have much use for shoot-thru mounts, as most of my rifles either came without sights, or I took them off. I do have shoot-thru mounts on my pump .30-06 carbine for jump-shooting deer on cut-overs. It's rare to have a standing shot when walking through cut-over trying to jump bedded deer.

As to shooting moving game with a scope, I killed a doe two years ago with that same .30-06 while she was running at about 125 yards. I didn't even consider using the open sights. I have found that with a little practice, finding your target in the scope comes as second nature. You just have to make sure your scope is always turned down. Distant shots usually allow time to crank the scope up, but close shots rarely allow time to crank it down. I had a brother-in-law (now deceased) who used to pratice with his .270, scoping birds as they flew by, snapping and bolting, snapping and bolting....it was awesome how fast he could shoot that rifle at running deer. He once jumped three deer together, which proceeded to go in three different directions. He got all three.... Armadillo hunting is a great way to hone your "moving target" skills. We drive around in the fields at night shooting them. Often they take off running so you have to get them on the go. It's a hoot.

If you feel it's difficult to quickly acquire your target in your scope, you can practice (literally anywhere) on improving that. Simply check, then double-check, that your firearm is unloaded. Pick a spot on the wall, a knob on a cabinet, an insulator on a power pole....you get the picture....now as quickly as possible, raise your gun and scope whatever it was. Lower and repeat. Practice at varying scope power settings. I can usually find my target rather quickkly, even at higher power settings. I do this quite often though. When you get to where you can acquire a cabinet knob ten feet away without even thinking about it, a possom/coon/fox at thirty yards is a piece of cake.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I've been scope shooting for 40 years so "familiarizing" objects in my scope view are far behind me. I live and hunt in the super dense hardwood forests of the Northeast. Our general hunting areas are strewn with thick groves of mountain laurel and rocks as big as houses. A "far" shot is 50 yards. A leaping, bounding, buck or a skittish fox, through that kind of cover is a "free man" to anyone trying to locate him in any scope, no matter how low of a power setting.

Most of the open country, 300 yard shot scope shooters would starve to death before they bagged any game in my neck of the woods.

Back
Top Bottom