Had a new chicken get sick and die with nasal discharge and eyes go shut

Phillychicken

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 14, 2015
Have any of you had a bird have discharge from eyes and nose and also have sores in the wing pit area? We thought it might be
infectious coryza but that did not have the sores on the body under the wings in the wing pit area.
All birds from that seller are returned. Any ideas about what should we do for our flock now??

Did the birds have a bad odor from the face? Did the scabs look like fowl pox or peck wounds? Pictures would have helped. Did you keep the new birds in quarantine away frommyour other chickens? If they were near your others, they could have been exposed. I would disinfect your waterers and feeders, with 10% bleach water. There are some commercial disinfectants that people can use to use around coops. Virkon S tablets added to water are very good when there has been an infectious disease. Amazon sells a small amount online.

Sorry the bird that died is buried. Yes i think a bad order came from the face. I have disinfected the waters and feeders already and the coops. Thanks I will try to get Virkon S tablets. No pictures. her face was swollen and her eyes were all pusy too but also had the sores under her wings but didn't look like they were pecked.

can you give a chicken a penicillin shot or how to give antibiotics since they are so hard to get?? another one got sick

Have any of you had a bird have discharge from eyes and nose and also have sores in the wing pit area? We thought it might be
infectious coryza but that did not have the sores on the body under the wings in the wing pit area.
All birds from that seller are returned. Any ideas about what should we do for our flock now??
i think a bad order came from the face
face was swollen and her eyes were all pusy too but also had the sores under her wings
can you give a chicken a penicillin shot or how to give antibiotics since they are so hard to get?? another one got sick
Please post some photos of the chicken. If she's got sores, get some photos of those too please.

Where are you located in the world?
Describe the symptoms of the one that is currently sick.

I would not necessarily administer any antibiotics unless you know what may be wrong.
Penicillin is not going to treat a respiratory disease.

Sores with respiratory symptoms (facial swelling, mucous, etc.) I too agree with @Eggcessive it may be Wet Form Fowl Pox which is a virus, but providing more information would be helpful.

Yes the one that died had a bad order coming from the face
and swollen eyes and discharge from nose

Back
Top Bottom