Had a terrible nightmare!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indyrun

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 8, 2014
Brisbane Australia
I dreamt last night that my two ducks were attacked by dogs. I managed to get them away from the dogs, but they lost a lot of feathers and had red roar skin. They were both terrified. However the worst part of the dream is that I didn't know what to do...
I was ringing a 24 hour vet, but I wanted to apply first aid.
Has anyone ever experienced anything like that? Or do you know what to do if it happens?
Giving them extra kisses and cuddles this morning... :)

Last edited:
Our dog got into the garden where the ducks were free range and grabbed one. Deep punctures on both sides, broken ribs. We cleaned the duck and had it for dinner. That's the most practical thing to do...I certainly would not take an edible bird to a vet.

My ducks
Our dog got into the garden where the ducks were free range and grabbed one.  Deep punctures on both sides, broken ribs.  We cleaned the duck and had it for dinner.  That's the most practical thing to do...I certainly would not take an edible bird to a vet.

My ducks are my pets. Would you do the same to your pet dog?

YOU may do as you wish. I said "I" would not take an edible bird to the vet. This is a working farm. Ducks are egg and meat producers and pest control, that's their reason for living. You did ask if anyone had this happen or know what to do, well, that's my answer.

Last edited:
I took 4 ducks to the Vet after a stray dog attack. Two had been killed and three injured. I took the fourth to be sure I didn't miss anything on her.

My vet charged emergency rates because they stayed open late for me. However they discounted me a couple hundred dollars by only charging one office visit and one emergency charge instead of four.

I paid almost $700 for the visit. However I would do it again. I wish I could simply eat them but I am too citified for that.

YOU may do as you wish.  I said "I" would not take an edible bird to the vet.  This is a working farm. Ducks are egg and meat producers and pest control, that's their reason for living. You did ask if anyone had this happen or know what to do, well, that's my answer.

I'm not going to say anything else to you other than you should read people's threads properly. It is quite clear in my thread I had asked about first aid procedures. My ducks are my pets. Perhaps you should only reply to " working farm threads" and keep your insensitive comments for those.
Thank you

I have not had that happened to me yet but it will eventually happen a some point and when it does I have read that clean the wound and just hope they survive because taking them to the vet will cost you 30 times as much as it would be to by another duck

My mistake, I thought this was a site for homestead/ small farms site, with poultry as eggs and meat producers, and not an " all pets" site.

I've been raised with meat animals, helping with butchering and dressing out my own dinner since I was five years old. I enjoy my ducks, but have no more emotional attachment to them than I would have for a hamburger, or a potato.

Last edited:
I feel like we should all know how to humanely cull if veterinary services are not an option. Might not be the prettiest image, but neither is suffering. :/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom