Half blind hamster...

That's a cataract. They're really common in old hamsters. Fortunately, hamsters have poor eyesight to begin with, so loosing vision from a cataract really doesn't affect them much.

That's a cataract. They're really common in old hamsters. Fortunately, hamsters have poor eyesight to begin with, so loosing vision from a cataract really doesn't affect them much.

Funny you said that, I actually just looked up about eye problems with hamsters and read about cataracts.... and also read the symptoms of diabetes and saw a resemblance with Squeak.... I hope he doesn't have diabetes. :(

oh he will do find, trust me we had one for a year, and was the bravest (or stupidest) hamster we had LOL he would chase the cats around the house in his ball.

just a prewarning tho, pic him up on the other side, the side he can see so he wont bite you :D

We had a half blind guinea pig at one time. He bit the fire out of the kids until we realized what was wrong with him. Once we figured out the best way to pick him up, he settled right down and did fine. I don't really recall the special handling he required, (it's been a while now) but perhaps talking to him and gently petting his back before trying to grab him. Best of luck with the little guy.

Squeak is not a normal hamster.... :) He is... I think has mental problems... and maybe, just maybe, I like him better with mental problems. He lays on his back in the palm of my hand and almost never bites, and if he does bite, you barely even feel it. He likes to have his feet tickled and his belly rubbed, and enjoys to get a warm, wet tissue to clean up his face every few days. I can even kiss him on the forehead, right between his eyes and he just sits there all happy and jolly looking!

He's my lil' oddball, and I doubt he'd ever bite me hard, even if he is blind or has a cataract.

Back
Top Bottom