May 29, 2019
Over the last month, over half of my 2.5 y/o mixed flock has started laying softshell eggs. 4 out of 7 of my hens have been doing so frequently--it's not uncommon for me to get at least one softshell a day. Even the intermittent "normal" eggs from the culprits are often wonky--bumpy, pale, weirdly large, weirdly small, porcelain-like, asymmetrical, etc. What gives?

My flock has been on a diet of purina flockraiser and free choice oyster shells. I provide extra calcium supplementation to the problem hens on occasion with little to no measurable effect. Beyond feed, they free range (supervised) 1-2 hours daily. Treats are minimal, comprising far less than 10% their diets.

Behavior-wise, they seem bright and normal, with plenty of energy and an appetite. Only exception is that they sometimes appear lethargic before laying a softshell egg, only to bounce back right after. Also, sometimes crops get temporarily swollen alongside these issues (this happened once when an egg broke inside a hen, and it went down once she got it all out--luckily I acted fast and we managed to dodge an infection). Another hen tends to get her crop stopped up just before laying, but she's had lifelong laying issues that I've posted about previously.

All were last dewormed in June for a bout of roundworms.

Please let me know what I could be dealing with, and how I might best support my girls! I don't care about not getting eggs--I just want them to be happy and healthy. Thank you!

Sounds like their diet is good, so it’s either stress they’re all experiencing (heat, environmental) or age or maybe illness but probably not. I’d say monitor them closely the next few weeks in case it could be an illness, because you mentioned lethargy. Also make sure their crops are always draining, or they could get sour crop.
Just because one offers oyster shell does NOT mean the birds eat it.

Stop giving them the choice to eat oyster shell on the side...it obviously is the problem.

Switch them to a layer type feed.
is it okay for my rooster to be on layer feed?

I originally fed my flock layer feed but overall they ended up seeming much healthier when, at the recommendation of a vet, I switched to flock raiser (this was going on 2 years ago). Maybe I'll switch back and see how they do.

The oyster shell disappears but I suppose the three who aren't laying softshells could be behind it...

Sounds like their diet is good, so it’s either stress they’re all experiencing (heat, environmental) or age or maybe illness but probably not. I’d say monitor them closely the next few weeks in case it could be an illness, because you mentioned lethargy. Also make sure their crops are always draining, or they could get sour crop.

Thank you for the advice! I hope it's not flockwide illness.

Believe me I am up their butts with the monitoring :D--they probably can't wait until the semester starts and I'm at work again. The swollen crops tend to be specific to egg laying, and immediately return to normal after the egg passes, as if it was gumming their systems up. But I'm always checking to avoid sour crop or impaction. Lethargy is also temporary and only right before/during the laying of a soft shell, if at all. So strange. Thanks again!!

is it okay for my rooster to be on layer feed?

I originally fed my flock layer feed but overall they ended up seeming much healthier when, at the recommendation of a vet, I switched to flock raiser (this was going on 2 years ago). Maybe I'll switch back and see how they do.

The oyster shell disappears but I suppose the three who aren't laying softshells could be behind it...
Yes, your rooster will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom