Half Shell Hatch-A-Long! (Caution, unsuccessful, please read whole thread before attempting)

Pics
I don't want to "turn off" the fan. Just maybe direct the draft away from them. Hm, more testing is in order.
Instead of messing with the fan I wonder if perhaps setting something perforated over top, like and old upside down little berry basket, that has some of the sides and part of the top covered in something to block the most forceful of the air flow?
Maybe one of those cheapy little open weave plastic baskets from the dollar store like these that many of us have in our drawers to hold paper clips and whatnot-
images

Instead of messing with the fan I wonder if perhaps setting something perforated over top, like and old upside down little berry basket, that has some of the sides and part of the top covered in something to block the most forceful of the air flow?
Maybe one of those cheapy little open weave plastic baskets from the dollar store like these that many of us have in our drawers to hold paper clips and whatnot-
images
That's a really good idea!!! I think I have some of those laying around. I'll see what I can find. Thank you!

images
I have these from dollar tree

I opened 3 today! I opened the pointy end on two, which I honestly think is the best way to do this. I opened the fat end on one, and it's pretty much impossible to see anything in it because of the membrane. I considered peeling off the membrane but it's spider webbed with veins, so that's a no go. The two pointy end ones look awesome though. I have my humidity at 62% right now, after running it dry for the first week. It's day 8 for the two oldest and day 7 for the other one I opened. I have one egg on day 6 that I'll probably open tomorrow. The hole is covered with saran wrap and held on with a rubber band. No holes in the wrap, to try and keep it moist. I have them in cut TP tubes like Snapdragon suggested, so I can continue to turn them. I think (hope) it will work this time! On day 17 or 18 I will make a hole in the membrane, remove the wrap, and up the humidity to 75-80%. I didn't end up doing the basket cover thing because the humidity is so high and they're covered with wrap. They're also not directly under the fan. The 2 are very active. I'll get some pics tonight when it's darker. #1, the one I opened thr air cell on, is going to be next to impossible to monitor unless I drop water on the membrane all the time to check it. Also, @FortCluck , I have this.
20200809_190021.jpg

I thought it might work better than coconut oil and I found it in a box. I noticed that it says Zinc though. I'm pretty sure Zinc is toxic for birds, so I wasn't sure if it would work. I clearly don't need it just yet, but I like to plan ahead. Is it safe to use or should I get Triple antibiotic ointment instead?
Also, did Mrs. Tweedy's quailies hatch? I think I lost that thread.
That's all for now. I'll get pics in a bit.

I opened 3 today! I opened the pointy end on two, which I honestly think is the best way to do this. I opened the fat end on one, and it's pretty much impossible to see anything in it because of the membrane. I considered peeling off the membrane but it's spider webbed with veins, so that's a no go. The two pointy end ones look awesome though. I have my humidity at 62% right now, after running it dry for the first week. It's day 8 for the two oldest and day 7 for the other one I opened. I have one egg on day 6 that I'll probably open tomorrow. The hole is covered with saran wrap and held on with a rubber band. No holes in the wrap, to try and keep it moist. I have them in cut TP tubes like Snapdragon suggested, so I can continue to turn them. I think (hope) it will work this time! On day 17 or 18 I will make a hole in the membrane, remove the wrap, and up the humidity to 75-80%. I didn't end up doing the basket cover thing because the humidity is so high and they're covered with wrap. They're also not directly under the fan. The 2 are very active. I'll get some pics tonight when it's darker. #1, the one I opened thr air cell on, is going to be next to impossible to monitor unless I drop water on the membrane all the time to check it. Also, @FortCluck , I have this. View attachment 2284256
I thought it might work better than coconut oil and I found it in a box. I noticed that it says Zinc though. I'm pretty sure Zinc is toxic for birds, so I wasn't sure if it would work. I clearly don't need it just yet, but I like to plan ahead. Is it safe to use or should I get Triple antibiotic ointment instead?
Also, did Mrs. Tweedy's quailies hatch? I think I lost that thread.
That's all for now. I'll get pics in a bit.
Yes! ALL of them!!! And 2 chicken chicks. She also got more quail tonight from my bator.

Back
Top Bottom