Half Shell Hatch-A-Long! (Caution, unsuccessful, please read whole thread before attempting)

My thought too. I re-watched the video and it's obvious how far the lab went to keeping the environment sterile right down to sterile gloves and gowns.
MGG, it's possible that no matter how careful you are being, natural environmental bacteria are getting into things. Probably why the pores of eggs are so tiny!
I tried to keep everything sterile. It's hard though. I'll leave this to the lab experts.
I have a newfound respect for the incredible design and purpose of egg shells.

Don't beat yourself up. We've all done things that resulted in dead chickens (and other animals) but we learned a lesson (or at least most of us).
At least you didn't slow down the mail and killed thousands of animals.

Microscopic pores slathered with the hen's cuticle.
Thanks. I just wish they would have made it. I got attached seeing their little faces every day.
OMG I heard about that. It's horrible.

That's amazing, I didn't know that. Should I give some to #4 then?
That is one of its superior advantages over other nutritional supplements.
Here is a quote from the BoviDr Laboratories website.
"Our approach to promote overall health is to boost the immune system FAST! Nutri-Drench shunts directly to the bloodstream, eliminating the hours needed for digestion. Nutri-Drench can be measured in the bloodstream in minutes, with 99% utilization.
Superior, nutrient rich, high energy support.
No Digestion Required – Immediate Nutrient Balance Delivers all vital nutrients to restore the immune system in minutes!"

http://nutridrench.com/poultry-nutr...is specifically,minutes, with 99% utilization.

How do I change the title? I don't know of anyone unfortunately.
I don't know if you can, but fiddle with the settings on the upper right hand side. If you can't just ask a moderator, I'm sure they will change it for you if you explain why.
....If you want to that is...it was only a suggestion because a lot of people find BYC after doing a google search for a particular subject.

The yolk on that last one looks hypoxic; they actually pipe O2 directly to them in the experiments like in the video. Not just room air, so it would be interesting to me to see what kind of O2 levels are in the air cell when they pip normally. Lots of things that they do differently but considering students also have completed this successfully with live birds at the end of it, it’s not solely due to sterility in my opinion. You can’t tell me that high school students are equivalent to a biosecure lab. :p

Even something as simple as the water going into your incubator could pose an issue. They use sterile water and a disinfectant in the cup version, which leaves no room for bacteria to grow in that particular media. And if you read all the way through, they didn’t get great hatch rates even with all of the sterility that they followed. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I think this is a very interesting experiment that gives us a lot of insight into just how complex the incubation process is. :)

my quail hatch was awful. That entire batch of eggs probably would’ve been better to toss and start over. I’m not sure what happened to them in transit but whatever it was must’ve been bad. 🙄 all had terrible air cells, had a lot of clears right off the bat, and a ton of early quitters. (These are in an incubator with other, local eggs that are doing well so I don’t think it’s an incubator issue...) so I had 4 hatch, 1 of which I culled the next day because it was spinning like a top on its head, another had severely twisted legs and faded, the third one (ridiculously small white one) passed sometime during the day yesterday, and I’m left with one healthy, noisy little golden Italian chick. 🤷🏼‍♀️
The yolk did look weird. I used filtered water, Idk. I'm not sure about the oxygen. The fan should be circulating air decently, but I guess it might just not be good enough. Yeah, high school students definitely aren't as sterile as a lab, lol.
Aw, I'm sorry about your quail. They must have gotten really messed up in the post. That's too bad. At least you have one I guess 🤷‍♀️
I'm sure it will be very sweet.

That is one of its superior advantages over other nutritional supplements.
Here is a quote from the BoviDr Laboratories website.
"Our approach to promote overall health is to boost the immune system FAST! Nutri-Drench shunts directly to the bloodstream, eliminating the hours needed for digestion. Nutri-Drench can be measured in the bloodstream in minutes, with 99% utilization.
Superior, nutrient rich, high energy support.
No Digestion Required – Immediate Nutrient Balance Delivers all vital nutrients to restore the immune system in minutes!"

http://nutridrench.com/poultry-nutri-drench/#:~:text=Poultry Nutri-Drench is specifically,minutes, with 99% utilization.
So I should give it some? Can I give it on a q-tip? I definitely can't fit the dropper in there.

Back
Top Bottom