Hang a baby chick by its legs to sex?

Coopster217

Chirping
Sep 4, 2019
I read it on the facebook page that you can tell the gender of a chick if you hold it upside down for a few seconds. If it just hangs there with little to no fight, it's a Male, if it freaks the hell out the whole time, it's a female. This seems mean to me. Is there any truth to it?

just cause it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true, I am sure there are some experts here that know how to vent sex a young chick, but I can guarantee you that is not one of them. I just patiently wait until I can tell when they are older.

**observing them and interacting with them will give you more clues to as they grow

Last edited:
This must be how Tractor Supply sexes their chicks. It all makes sense now!
I recall about a year or so ago someone posted on here about witnessing a TSC employee doing exactly that. I'm sure some old timer had told him about that technique so he just ran with it. Again, that's one way these old wives' tales get perpetuated. I can imagine everyone he "sexed" chicks for now thinks the same thing - that is until they end up being 50:50.

Either that or the employee knew they had been vent sexed at the hatchery, all were pullets and he wanted to show off like he knew something.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom