hangning treats

victoria18

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2020
Since treats for chicken shouldn't exceed one tablespoon per chicken a day, is there a way to ensure they don't eat too much of the treats i hang up for them? If there isn't, how much should I be hanging up? I don't want them getting sick. Thankful for anwsers :)

What are you hanging up? If it's something like a flock block I give them an hour or two with it, then remove it until the next day.
I was thinking fruits and veggies, I guess it's safest if I only hang up those in small amounts. Is there something I can hang up and keep them busy with that isn't potentially bad for them?

I was thinking fruits and veggies, I guess it's safest if I only hang up those in small amounts. Is there something I can hang up and keep them busy with that isn't potentially bad for them?
Fruits and veggies aren't bad for them, but in large quantities they can dilute down the nutrition in feed since chickens can only eat so much in a day. So depending on your flock size you want to take that into consideration, i.e. a large cabbage each day is too much for a small flock, so maybe a handful of broccoli would do instead.

My birds get fruit and veggies sporadically, as they just get whatever's in excess from the garden. So today they got 1 carrot top... later this week they may get a pulled broccoli plant with just the leaves.

Back
Top Bottom