Hard, Swollen ear lobe

HopKat

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 15, 2019
Southern Indiana
2 weeks ago my 26 week old hen developed a hard, knot on her ear lobe with 2 black holes that appear to be puncture wounds. It doesn't appear to be any better or worse. It is a little warm but not hot. She acts fine, eats and drinks
20230316_193235.jpg
20230316_193238.jpg
and enjoys being out with the other hens. It is early spring here so I guess a snake bite is possible but doubtful. She is in a group of 6 younger girls in a flock of 8 older. I've noticed several pecks on the other young hens combs so I'm thinking she may have peck wounds but I would have expected it to be better by now. Any suggestions?
20230316_193245.jpg

I will guess venomous snake bite. Do you have rattle snakes around your place? Contrary to what most people think, most rattle snakes do not deliver a full dose of venom to creatures that are too large to swallow. This very lucky hen may have surprised a snake and it barely tapped her ear lobe to discourage her from messing with it.

It may be a type of rattler with a more gentle venom that only acts on tissue and not the general nervous system. Some rattlers have venom that both destroys tissue and hits the nervous system. Their victims often die.

If the oil of oregano doesn't help, then you might try using a syringe to see if you can draw anything out. Since it feels hard and moves around it may be pus. I'd be inclined to observe for a while and see if it gets better slowly, or gets worse. If you decide to mess with it, I would have some blood stop on hand as it may bleed a lot.

This is interesting.
It does look sort of like a bite. Perhaps some impaled it straight through on something sharp.

I really don't know if you should just leave it and see what happens since it's been 2wks and no better/worse or pick the scabs off and see if anything comes out.
I'm going to tag in @Eggcessive @coach723 and @azygous

I used a large needle to try to release puss from the lump. I went in through both puncture holes and didn't expel any fluid. The lump feels pretty hard. I'll get some Oil of Oregano. It doesn't sound like that will harm her. It doesn't seem to bother her so I guess if it doesn't get worse I'll let her alone. Thanks for the input and I'll update with her progress

It is still swollen but seems smaller. I think I know what may have caused it. We no longer have a rooster so one of the hens has appointed herself head Ro. She jumps on some of the younger girls backs and pecks at their heads. I expect she grabbed Lacy's earlobe between her beak. Lacy is a happy hen and doesn't seem bothered by the lump on the side of her face so I'm leaving her alone. Thanks for checking!

I will guess venomous snake bite. Do you have rattle snakes around your place? Contrary to what most people think, most rattle snakes do not deliver a full dose of venom to creatures that are too large to swallow. This very lucky hen may have surprised a snake and it barely tapped her ear lobe to discourage her from messing with it.

It may be a type of rattler with a more gentle venom that only acts on tissue and not the general nervous system. Some rattlers have venom that both destroys tissue and hits the nervous system. Their victims often die.
I’m no snake expert but don‘t the dots look closer together then it would be for a snake? Atleast for a Rattle snake? The ones i see have it farther gapped apart but maybe it just would depend.

I found a post from @Eggcessive where she had a hen with a similar condition. I think she used amoxicillin and had a full cure.
I haven’t treated a swollen ear, but have posted when there is an ear infection, on how to treat one. This looks more like an injury or bite. I agree with others on trying to see if there is pus inside.

Update..The lump on Lacys ear lobe seemed larger after I tried to expelled puss from it but now it looks like it did before. She is acting like her happy self so I'm leaving her alone. Thanks for sharing all your experiences.

Update: it's been 1 month since Lacy developed a hard lump on her ear lobe that appeared to have 2 puncture wounds. I tried to drain any fluid without success. She seemed to be fine so I left it alone. Today I picked her up and rubbed her earlobe. The lump was rock hard. It just popped out into my hand. The skin underneath is healthy pink and healed. It appears to be a solid mass of dried pus. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
20230417_154214.jpg

Back
Top Bottom