Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

Pics
I just had a 100% hatch with shipped eggs last month. 12 out of 12 hatched. Just a week earlier from the very same breeder and same flocks, I had received a scrambled shipment that 5 out of 12 hatched. It's really a matter of luck sometimes with the postal service.
Wow! That's incredibly good luck!!!! I get plenty of 100% hatches with my own or local eggs, but shipped eggs are almost always disappointment. It's rare that an egg will arrive without a rolling (completely detached) air cell. Several eggs get ruptured yolks (candle completely dark throughout). Sometimes we get eggs with partially attached air cells & those can firm up after a few days. Those are the ones that will develop and may hatch.

Last edited:
Wow! That's incredibly good luck!!!! I get plenty of 100% hatches with my own or local eggs, but shipped eggs are always almost always disappointment. It's rare that an egg will arrive without a rolling (completely detached) air cell. Several eggs get ruptured yolks (candle completely dark throughout). Sometimes we get eggs with partially attached air cells & those can firm up after a few days. Those are the ones that will develop and may hatch.

Yes, it's the same for me. I get great hatches on local eggs but I toss the shipped eggs up to luck. I did have to repair a crack on one but it hatched!

I finally got mine today. Beautifully packaged including a nice little wooden gift egg. Three are broken, all have badly detached air cells except two which are loose but still tied to the top. One candles bloody orange vs amber (similar to a few of the Ayam Cemani).

Honestly, I think I'm going to have to leave these vertical for four days or so, then manually turn them for at least the first ten days, by tipping them side to side every couple hours maybe. Should I increase the temperature by half a degree to make up for the temp lost in tipping multiple times a day?

Shipped eggs SUCK.

Hmmm, I'm not familiar with the red issues...you know...my broad experience of 1 1/2 incubations and all.... but I'd be inclined to give them 5 days in there with daily candling and smell checks. If you have the room for them, why not?

Also, I have not done it yet, but in the hatch a long threads I see quite a few people mentioning spraying their eggs, especially shipped eggs, with a watered down solution to kill bacteria. I'd have to dig for what exactly it was, but I think like half hydrogen peroxide and half water. Or something similar to kill germs.
They don't wash or wipe them, just spray and let dry.

Congratulations on this lil one though! That's got to be a really cool feeling to hatch your own bird's egg!! I'm hoping to have eight of my own running around in a couple weeks lol.
It's actually a little weird when they are from your flock...
You can hear the new chicks peeping while cracking their brother or sister eggs into a skillet for breakfast, and you feel guilty eating the little bullseye eggs (the chick's siblings) instead of putting them into the incubator.

No?
...ok. maybe that's just me then.

Wow! That's incredibly good luck!!!! I get plenty of 100% hatches with my own or local eggs, but shipped eggs are always almost always disappointment. It's rare that an egg will arrive without a rolling (completely detached) air cell. Several eggs get ruptured yolks (candle completely dark throughout). Sometimes we get eggs with partially attached air cells & those can firm up after a few days. Those are the ones that will develop and may hatch.
What made me try shipped eggs was the ability to get 11 eggs cheaper than the price of one chick of that breed, not including shipping. I figure if I even get 3 chicks I've saved $40 to $100. Then, because of current events, trying to actually find said chicks available this year was nearly impossible.
For regular priced and easily found breeds I'm more inclined to order hatchery chicks,

What made me try shipped eggs was the ability to get 11 eggs cheaper than the price of one chick of that breed, not including shipping. I figure if I even get 3 chicks I've saved $40 to $100. Then, because of current events, trying to actually find said chicks available this year was nearly impossible.
For regular priced and easily found breeds I'm more inclined to order hatchery chicks,
I understand that and it's a very logical idea. If you happen to get more, selling off the extras = a way to pay for the eggs + shipping = free chicks for you!

Well, I've decided on a process. I'm putting them ALL (including the busted yolkers) in an egg flat. I've melted candle wax into the cracks in the Ameraucana eggs, since they weren't leaking. The eggs with the '?' marks are the ones that candle off colored and dark. I'll watch them closely the first 10 days...sniffing and inspecting! I'm not going to do any egg turning (I may turn the tray 1/4 turn once a day) whatsoever for the first four days. After that, I'll only tilt them side to side 3x a day at a very steep angle, with 1/4 turn each flip. I figure I've got a better chance of chicks developing and not sticking to the sides, than I do of them developing and not internally pipping into oxygen. Either way this batch is a mess and any game plan is better than setting them horizontally and firing the starting gun.

Cross your fingers for me!

108909081_2754988654723369_5863573825415683618_n.jpg

Layout I chose. I will likely move them around in the tray after day 4 also, inside ring out, outside ring in.

107613330_283739943067641_8531676979698287422_n.jpg

In the incubator. That's 22 eggs lol.

107636230_407626203485047_10147630184071903_n.jpg

Not a ton of room between the top of the egg and the fan...but I'm hoping I'll still get enough airflow with the draw from the top.

108850401_914655595706698_2701862169509298865_n.jpg

These are the AC/CX mix eggs. SO MUCH MORE ROOM in the older style incubator. I'm still considering trading my newer version for the older.

107985886_715357332368643_457546435926818635_n.jpg

Side by side look. I might swap the tops when I candle the AC/CX hatch on day 7. Funny thing is, the tops of the eggs aren't too much different in elevation.

More updates to come lol.

Well, I've decided on a process. I'm putting them ALL (including the busted yolkers) in an egg flat. I've melted candle wax into the cracks in the Ameraucana eggs, since they weren't leaking. The eggs with the '?' marks are the ones that candle off colored and dark. I'll watch them closely the first 10 days...sniffing and inspecting! I'm not going to do any egg turning (I may turn the tray 1/4 turn once a day) whatsoever for the first four days. After that, I'll only tilt them side to side 3x a day at a very steep angle, with 1/4 turn each flip. I figure I've got a better chance of chicks developing and not sticking to the sides, than I do of them developing and not internally pipping into oxygen. Either way this batch is a mess and any game plan is better than setting them horizontally and firing the starting gun.

Cross your fingers for me!

View attachment 2237943
Layout I chose. I will likely move them around in the tray after day 4 also, inside ring out, outside ring in.

View attachment 2237940
In the incubator. That's 22 eggs lol.

View attachment 2237941
Not a ton of room between the top of the egg and the fan...but I'm hoping I'll still get enough airflow with the draw from the top.

View attachment 2237942
These are the AC/CX mix eggs. SO MUCH MORE ROOM in the older style incubator. I'm still considering trading my newer version for the older.

View attachment 2237949
Side by side look. I might swap the tops when I candle the AC/CX hatch on day 7. Funny thing is, the tops of the eggs aren't too much different in elevation.

More updates to come lol.

My fingers are crossed!

Turning is really important for the first 14 days though and even more so for the first 5 I think it is. I tested this out with one egg and it did develop and made it all the way to lockdown but something about not turning the egg made it very liquidy inside the egg, he didn't hatch successfully. Though this was only 1 egg that I tried. I still rarely lose chicks once they make it to lockdown unless there's something genetically wrong.

I found an intact sparrow egg this morning and put it in my nurture right. However when it turns the sparrow egg makes 3 full rotations which is not ideal. Any way to decrease turning angle? This is my test run for the new incubator.

Back
Top Bottom