Harvey the Great. . A Great Life with His Harem!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Peppercorngal, May 11, 2019.

1. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    No, Harvey is a white jersey giant. Thus the reason he is so BIG! I just got my first leghorn pullets and man are they . . .curious! They climb the trees, they get on top of the run, they explore every inch of their space! I hope your boy turns out gentle and sweet to you and your girls! :hugs

Leghorns on the run top.jpg

2. Kayla's Lunch

Kayla's Lunch Songster

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland
    So glad you are sharing Harvey with us! He's beautiful.

3. WhoDatChick

WhoDatChick Free Ranging

Sep 6, 2018
    Nawlins, Louisiana
    Oh yea, he is big!
    I want a Leghorn too... they sound like my EE.. she is so quirky! That’s why I just got three more :D
    And thank you.. I sure hope he’s a good one!

4. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    I had lost track of the Harvey's Dying thread for a few days and could not figure out how to find it again... when I did, I read it straight through to the end... I have to tell ya, it was like a Hallmark movie, with its twists and turns, all the drama, the almost losing him, the TEARS!!! The people losing faith, your husband's stubbornness, your fears, your determination, the comminity's thoughts, support and prayers, your determination...the MIRACLE!!!..... .Honey, there wasn't a dry eye in my head!

I'm so glad you started this new thread so we can follow along in his ... well, can we call it a resurrection? It is around Easter time, after all. What a great feel-good story!

Anyway, I'm just so glad Harvey has a happily-ever-after going on right now and I hope he keeps it going on for a real long time.

He otta at least get a write-up in the local news.... or CBS' On the Road.... this is a GREAT story! I want a life-size stuffed model of Harvey, a Harvey Lives" or "Harvey Forever" T shirt... Harvey footprints up the back of a jacket ..... I (heart) Harvey! Or somethin! Even a children's book! Yeah!

5. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    Wow, sounds like you got involved in Harvey's story! I'll let you be in charge of the "Harvey" marketing materials! Maybe you would like to write a book????? Anyway, thanks for caring about a lowly little (big?) rooster like my Harvey! The interest is amazing and very heartwarming. Thank you!:hugs

MaryJanet, Cryss and WhoDatChick like this.
  6. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    I have been asked for photos of Harvey and I thought I'd start with him as "Minnie Pearl". See, he was the only white chick and he was supposed to be a pullet as that is all I ordered! Poor guy was called "Pearl" for months until it was apparent that she was a he!

Harvey as Minnie Pearl.jpg
    This is Harvey about 4 weeks old. (Above)

Harvey at 6 weeks old.jpg
    Harvey at 6 weeks old. March 2018

minner pearl cant walk small.jpg
    Suddenly in April he can't walk. Many here on Backyard Chickens said it was Mareks. I put vitamins in the water and he started walking again!! His first healing! Also we knew he was a boy at this point. Darn! Not happy about it at that point, but wouldn't change a thing now!!!!

Harvey small.jpg
    Finally I changed Minnie Pearl's name to Harvey! Here he is in May 2018. He is named after the big white rabbit in Jimmy Stewart's famous movie "Harvey". I also have a hen named "Myrtle Mae" from that movie's character.
    Harvey on Mother's day 2019.jpg
    Here is Harvey a year later restored from another almost fatal illness. This was taken on Mother's Day. I just love me my Harvey!

:love :love :love :love

7. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    In his April picture .... MY LANDS, LOOKIT THEM FEET!!!!

And in the Mother's Day one, aawwww, he is already so handsome!
    :love

8. Trux

Trux Crowing

Mar 26, 2018
    SoSoCal
    Ok so I'm glad Harvey is back in full form, but I am coming into this thread not knowing what was wrong with Harvey. Can you give me the short version please? Did you find out why he was so bad off?
    He is a handsome Roo BTW

chrissynemetz, WhoDatChick and Cryss like this.
  9. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    There is a thread called Harvey the Great is dying (worth the read!). We all got involved in Harvey's troubles and ... now he's all better and we're all his fan club now, lol!

10. Trux

Trux Crowing

Mar 26, 2018
    SoSoCal
    Wow...someone said it was like a Hallmark movie, they weren't kidding! YAY for Harvey!!:thumbsup

chrissynemetz, WhoDatChick and Cryss like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: