Harvey the Great. . A Great Life with His Harem!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Peppercorngal, May 11, 2019.

1. SSFowler

SSFowler Chirping

Apr 19, 2019
    Poteet, Texas
    So glad to see he is back to good health! :celebrateHe had me worried for a bit!!

chrissynemetz, Cryss and WhoDatChick like this.
  2. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    Yes! BIGGGGGGG! They are huge!! They needed to be big, he's grown so much. :gig

3. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    Short story: Harvey stopped eating around April 18th 2019. He would stand around with his eyes shut all day and only drink water. Then he stopped drinking and would leave the run each morning, find a spot to lay down for the day (many times I thought he was dead) and somehow return to his spot on the top roost at the end of the day. I examined him and could find nothing wrong. After 10 days with no food I (actually it was Husband) looked around the house and found some antibiotics we had for a dog. I started him on those, gave him a 10 day dose and he is all better! He's back to being my big honking (the sound he makes) sweet Harvey! Thanks for asking. ;)

4. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    You and me both! Whew, I can breathe again. Thanks for caring. :D

SSFowler, WhoDatChick and Cryss like this.
  5. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    I'm serious, this would make a great children's book. And more.
    Edit to add: you just wrote the jacket cover.
    Edited again to add: I have suggestions, but you hold the rights.

6. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    How do I pm you?

WhoDatChick likes this.
  7. Trux

Trux Crowing

Mar 26, 2018
    SoSoCal
    After I posted that another member told what the old thread name was and I went back and found it, read it and had to agree it read like a Hallmark movie script :) I am so happy for you and Harvey. Glad whatever he had, got remedied by the anti-biotics! I also live in CA and really have a hard time with some of their laws, especially when it comes to taking care of my flock.

8. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    You can go to "conversations" and send me a message that way. ;)

BigBlueHen53 and Cryss like this.
  9. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    It was extremely frustrating trying to get antibiotics to treat Harvey! The only vet that will see chickens is 70 miles away, charges $100 for you to walk in the door and is rarely available. If my husband hadn't searched the closet and found the dog antibiotics Harvey would have died for sure. I recently went online and bought some "Fish Mox" (tetracycline) tablets. I first ordered them from Tractor Supply, but received an email the same evening that they cancelled my order. I think I ordered from "Chewy" and did receive it. Thanks for following and caring for Harvey! :frow

10. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    Yesterday afternoon I wanted to film Harvey. I notice that now when I go sit out in their free range area Harvey just stops what he is doing, comes over and stands in front of me and stares at me. ????? Oh well, he'll have to get used to it. Yesterday I pulled some clover weeds and offered it up to the chickens. Harvey had to have his share! He actually arrived late and by the time he got there all the clover leaves had been eaten!! He had his share of pecking pieces of the stems!
    :love

Harvey eats grass.jpg Harvey likes grass.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: