Has Anyone Else Ever....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by UrbanMama, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Bought eggs from a farmer as table eggs...only to throw them in the bator? [​IMG]

Yup, I am that sick. When I went to the feed store to buy some netting for the top of my run and saw "Fresh Eggs 1.99 a Doz." ....I thought to myself.."I betcha those are fertile eggs!" I bought 8 doz. and walked out the door.

When I got home, I cracked 2 of them open and sure enough, they are fertile! [​IMG] (We would have just eaten the lot of them if they weren't) So three doz are coming up to room temp and will go in a bator tonight.

It's a sickness I tell ya, an absolute sickness!!!

Anyone else ever done this before?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  2. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Nope,
    But at the Auction tonight, I bet there will be some RIR and "dominekker" eggs for sale. They will be fertile.
    I will buy. [​IMG]

3. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    I've read on here somewhere where people even tried hatching store bought eggs, with some success.

It is a sickness - without a cure. I'm already contemplating more eggs!

4. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I must admit, I never have done that, as we get all our eggs from hatcheries. It's only a matter of time, though!!! [​IMG]

5. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

You people are sick! My fear is that I am going to catch it because I hang around with you too much.

6. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh dear.. I hope nobody tries that with mine.. I'm selling lots of eggs- none fertile. Rooster isn't old enough! (but I don't advertise them as fertile either)

7. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    You are my kinda woman! I sure wish I had a wife with your sickness, lol

[​IMG]

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've never done it, but I found out a woman who was buying my eggs thru a friend of mine who took them to work to sell for me was. Then I found out why she was starting to buying so many from me. She was hatching the Marans eggs, not eating them. Once I found that out I sent her a message via my friend.....if she wanted hatching eggs I'd sell them to her, but not at eating egg price. Lucky for me there weren't that many Marans eggs included in the mix and most of what she would have gotten were mutts. Never sent any more out to sell that way again. I found it rather dishonest of her. Now I'm pretty picky about who I sell even eating eggs to.

I should add she was bragging that she was starting her Marans flock for basically no money.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:I'd feel the same way Katy if someone local was doing that with my Orpington or Brahma eggs. That's why I keep two flocks together til someone asks for fertile Orpington or Brahma hatching eggs. I only sell eating eggs to family and friends that don't have chickens [​IMG]

10. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] Silly [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by