Has Anyone Else Ever....

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanMama

Gone Country....
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
Massachusetts
Bought eggs from a farmer as table eggs...only to throw them in the bator?
ya.gif

Yup, I am that sick. When I went to the feed store to buy some netting for the top of my run and saw "Fresh Eggs 1.99 a Doz." ....I thought to myself.."I betcha those are fertile eggs!" I bought 8 doz. and walked out the door.

When I got home, I cracked 2 of them open and sure enough, they are fertile!
yippiechickie.gif
(We would have just eaten the lot of them if they weren't) So three doz are coming up to room temp and will go in a bator tonight.

It's a sickness I tell ya, an absolute sickness!!!

Anyone else ever done this before?

Last edited:
Nope,
But at the Auction tonight, I bet there will be some RIR and "dominekker" eggs for sale. They will be fertile.
I will buy.
thumbsup.gif

I've read on here somewhere where people even tried hatching store bought eggs, with some success.

It is a sickness - without a cure. I'm already contemplating more eggs!

Oh dear.. I hope nobody tries that with mine.. I'm selling lots of eggs- none fertile. Rooster isn't old enough! (but I don't advertise them as fertile either)

I've never done it, but I found out a woman who was buying my eggs thru a friend of mine who took them to work to sell for me was. Then I found out why she was starting to buying so many from me. She was hatching the Marans eggs, not eating them. Once I found that out I sent her a message via my friend.....if she wanted hatching eggs I'd sell them to her, but not at eating egg price. Lucky for me there weren't that many Marans eggs included in the mix and most of what she would have gotten were mutts. Never sent any more out to sell that way again. I found it rather dishonest of her. Now I'm pretty picky about who I sell even eating eggs to.

I should add she was bragging that she was starting her Marans flock for basically no money.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'd feel the same way Katy if someone local was doing that with my Orpington or Brahma eggs. That's why I keep two flocks together til someone asks for fertile Orpington or Brahma hatching eggs. I only sell eating eggs to family and friends that don't have chickens
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom