Has Anyone Else Ever....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so sorry if anyone was offended by me doing this. These eggs came from the feed store, so I have no idea what farm these came from or the breeds that they are. I figured I'd see them as mutts and have fun trying to figure out the crosses. (I chose the prettiest eggs to incubate...some teal colored ones and dark brown) I wasn't trying to be dishonest at all...more silly.

I have a friend who is establishing a flock of layers to free-range on her new little farm. She's planning on selling eggs to suppliment their income so she can continue to be a stay at home mom. I was planning on sending most of these chicks her way.

Again, sorry if me sharing this here has offended anyone.

Quote:
Boy I wish my hubby felt that way...he just looks at me and rolls his eyes!
lau.gif

Quote:
I'd feel the same way Katy if someone local was doing that with my Orpington or Brahma eggs. That's why I keep two flocks together til someone asks for fertile Orpington or Brahma hatching eggs. I only sell eating eggs to family and friends that don't have chickens
wink.png

I'd have never have found out except my friend...who really doesn't know much about chickens, or at least the different kinds, mentioned to me that the woman at work was really excited when she saw the dark eggs......and then went on later to say she was starting her Marans flock for cheap!!

My wife is going to kill me for reading anything on the hatching thread :thun trying to keep to half dozen chickens at the most....
Only because the more I read anything to do with hatching the worse the Itch gets!!! I need to build my incubator in secret this weekend....maybe if its all done and setup with eggs she might just turn a blind eye...
lau.gif

I don't see how you can sell hatching eggs for one price and eating eggs for another when they are the same thing. Personally I think that's dishonest. They are the same exact thing. If you want to sell your maran eggs for a high price then sell them all for that price and have people buy them for hatching eggs. If you can't sell enough and have extra for eating then it's a case of supply and demand. If the supply is too high for the demand you have to accept a lower price for at least some of them.

i have bought eggs from a man that was selling them to eat i told him what i was going to do with them and he went and got me some that he had not put in the frig. yet , i think once you buy something it is yours to do with as you see fit , a seller need not sell any thing if thay have to worry what will be done with it , sorry im a country boy my way of thinking is not like others ,

You are a very ill person. I think you need a chicken anonymous meeting. If you look in your phone book, you will find where they are meeting. Call them and get the time schedule. You are not alone in this. You can be helped. Just get up and say it. Hi, i am (your name) and I have too many chickens. It is a start and you will not believe the stories told in those rooms. I am lucky, my chickens are laying fewer and fewer eggs now. I put the bator away and I do not go to the auctions anymore. My sponser tells me that I still am very ill. I let the bantams sit on the eggs that the other chickens lay. He tells me I am Still in denial and that i have a long way to go. Just wait till spring, I tell him.

I do not tell him about the "contianer" in the kitchen. Here is a picture of it. Hope he does not have an account on here.

new.jpg

Oh, and i forgot to mention the "box" in the kitchen. It is just part of the disease ya know.

new003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I was selling eggs from my laying flock for eating...not hatching. She was picking out only the dark eggs to hatch and she was spouting off that she was getting her Marans flock for cheap. That is what made me mad more than anything. At that point I didn't even sell hatching eggs, but now that I am going to start selling hatching eggs I will sell them for more than I sell eating eggs, but not at the insanely high prices that some people do. I haven't put a Marans or Welsummer egg in any batch of eating eggs that I've sold since then, other than a couple of close friends. I'd rather eat everyone of them myself than have someone think they're getting one over on me again. Now if someone wants eggs and they ask me what kind of chickens I've got I just say various kinds. The ones I sell as eating eggs now are all nondescript light brown eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom