Has anyone made tomato butter?

2DogsFarm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
NW Indiana
While visiting a friend we found an old recipe book of her Mom's with a recipe for tomato butter.
Since I bought a 1/2 bushel of canning tomatoes I'll probably try this recipe with some of them.

It directs you to "grind" tomatoes & onions and combine with brown sugar, vinegar and spices (cinnamon, allspice & ?) then simmer until thick.

I've had storebought tomato marmalade and wondered if this will come out similar.

oh poo. I was getting all excited thinking that I needed to try that... and Mr. Hagan set me right back in my seat. I think he's right.
hmm.png

The spices, though, aren't in ketchup. I've heard of tomato marmalade. I'm wondering if this is more like a thick tomato sauce - more like apple butter consistency. It also depends on how much sugar the recipe calls for. A little bit would indicate something like ketchup or tomato sauce. A lot would indicate something more along the line of marmalade/butter.

Good luck! I think it sounds wonderful.

Def too much sugar for ketchup (catsup?) - by the amount called for it sounds like the consistency would be more like a fruit butter - spreadable.

The tomato marmalade recipe sounds similar except the fruit is left in chunks & no citrus.

I may try a test-batch using a few ripe tomatoes I still have out & if I really like it I have a freezer full of tomatoes to use.

If it's tasty enough it would make a good Christmas present along with a nice loaf of beer bread.

Last edited:
Quote:
yup. It is my favorite vegetable. But, I prefer store bought.
hide.gif

Some things in life are better when someone else makes it for you.
Like a BLT. Those are always better when some sets on in front of you and you didn't have to make it yourself.

..even better when they clean up!
big_smile.png

Is your second favorite vegetable french fries? If so, you might be my wife's long lost twin sister. She is a Floridian too.

If I tried to make ketchup I would be grievously disappointed if it didn't taste like Heinz. So why bother?

2DogsFarm, don't forget me at Christmas time. I would certainly appreciate a gift of bread and tomato stuff. Nobody ever gives me nothing!

Back
Top Bottom