Has anyone seen my Mom's teeth? Funny Alzheimer's moment.

addiedunn

Songster
11 Years
Oct 12, 2008
Martinsville, IN
My poor Mother... she has been looking for her teeth for 6 months. She is convinced a man switched his with hers and they need to switch back. Her teeth, of course, are in her denture cup at the moment. They are hers. Maybe her gums are shrinking and they don't fit as well. She just worries herself to death over them. I have been trying to get her in bed for 20 minutes now, but she keeps getting up to see where she put her teeth.
barnie.gif
They are hers at night when she takes them out and they are someone else's when she tries to eat.
idunno.gif
it's always fun around here.
She'll get up and put them in a drawer and 5 minutes later she is looking all over for them, in a panic. I have to stay one step ahead of her. Then she'll get back up and get them and tell me a story about someone who was here a while back and let their small children run amok in the bathroom and they took her teeth and were out playing with them in the yard! So I always say, "those darn kids. They won't be here tonight." lol
This is every day. It's amazing that she will remember to tell me that story about every other night but she can't remember all of her kids.
roll.png

Meanwhile, if y'all see those kids, cut a switch.
wink.png

I so understand. My mother told me that she didn't know who that man was that I was letting sleep in my bed but she was going to have a talk with my husband!

My MIL is going through the same thing. She still can't figure out who lives in that house on the other side of the ranch. LOL It is our house and we have been her almost 12 years now. UGH. And our poor kiddos just give her fits. She got so mad at my 12 yr old for riding her pony fast.

The scary part is now she is starting to walk off from my FIL. Almost made it to our house one day and my hubby went to see her. He offered her a ride home on our polaris and she declined stating it would ruin everything. It is only going to get crazier from now on.

What a cute story. My grandma had Alzheimers, so I can definitely relate. They can be comical, but it can be so heartbreaking at the same time.

It sounds as though you are caring for her - Bless you! That is a tough job for sure!

I don't have the same experience with my mom as she doesn't have Alzheimers but I used to work in the activity department at an assisted living facility and there were some very funny happenings around there.

Hang in there I know sometimes it can overwhelming!
hugs.gif

I know how you feel. My granny was convinced that someone kept stealing her bra in the middle of the night at the hospice and I would keep telling her that we took her clothes home when she was admitted. She would argue the point and I would just have to tell her I would talk with the nurses which calmed her down until the next day when someone had stolen her bra in the middle of the night again.

I lost my teeth one time... left them on the dash of the car.
lau.gif

Addiedunn, my mother is 86 years old and has dementia. One morning recently she woke up and proceeded to pack her bags. She was upset because some strange man had moved into her house. That "man" of course, was my 91 year old dad. My oldest sister calmed her down by telling her, "That's Daddy." For the rest of the day, Mom was convinced that this was HER DADDY. She wakes up in a new world every day.

Mom loves chickens and used to have a yard full. Her last hen died several months ago during an ice storm. She was so sad. Every morning my dad would go out and collect one egg. He's very unstable on his feet, but he'd guard that little egg with his life till he got it in the house.

I'm planning on paying Mom a visit soon and taking along a couple of my 2 week old chicks for her to see and sit and hold. She'll enjoy that. Thanks for sharing the story about your mom. It made me stop for a few minutes and think about my mom. She's a very special lady, as I'm sure yours is too.

Back
Top Bottom