Hasn’t moved in two days

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Ghost, who I thought just had a broken toe, hasn’t moved in two days, I decided to put her back in the coop under a friends recommendation(it worked with her roo but mine I think is too tame) and she hasn’t moved from the corner of the nesting box for two days, I just now got her to drink and eat some, but barely anything and shes still very still, do you think she’ll recover? If so how? Should I just have her culled?

The photos of her in the bath was before I got her to eat and drink
3EF52302-5448-4D62-BE01-67823CA29C85.jpeg
D958709C-C974-4617-9D7A-D91F0AA73F9F.jpeg
D1FDF94A-B366-4238-A777-BACDE13C98D0.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

What's wrong with her toe? Can you give her nutri drench and raw egg yolk? She needs to eat.
I think she broke it, all I could tell was she was limping really bad and stayed off that foot and her toe was stiffer then the other when bending.
I’ve been feeding her egg yolk, very healthy eggs though, orange yolks, with a dropper and she’s been drinking water, I got her a vets appointment tomorrow but if it’ll save my 99$+ I’d like to try

Last edited:
Where did you get her? Is she vaccinated? If you didnt get her from a feed store or you vaccinated yourself, then she could have Mareks or some other disease that paralyzes them. Does she look in pain to you? Does she peck at you when you try to touch her "broken" toe?

Where did you get her? Is she vaccinated? If you didnt get her from a feed store or you vaccinated yourself, then she could have Mareks or some other disease that paralyzes them. Does she look in pain to you? Does she peck at you when you try to touch her "broken" toe?
I hatched her, I didn’t vaccinate her, but she went missing for a few hours and came back with a really bad limp, she doesn’t peck at me when I touch her toe, and wouldn’t that have spread by now? She moves her head and started twitching her wings, I’ve read that if they’re injured they get too uncomfortable too eat but didn’t learn that till today, she doesn’t look like she’s in pain unless she’s walking, she’s just tired unless she’s drinking, then her expression looks totally calm and fine

How old is she? I would suspect Mareks disease, but she may have been injured and has become weak and dehydrated by not getting to food and water. Give her some sugar water or electrolytes with vitamins up to her beak. Offer some moistened feed or egg. Let us know what the vet thinks. If Mareks is suspected and she dies or is put down, you can get a diagnosis by sending her body, kept cold, to your state vet for necropsy and testing. Very sorry about your hen.

How old is she? I would suspect Mareks disease, but she may have been injured and has become weak and dehydrated by not getting to food and water. Give her some sugar water or electrolytes with vitamins up to her beak. Offer some moistened feed or egg. Let us know what the vet thinks. If Mareks is suspected and she dies or is put down, you can get a diagnosis by sending her body, kept cold, to your state vet for necropsy and testing. Very sorry about your hen.
She’s six month olds, I was looking into it but where would she have gotten it from? It’s been months since I got a new hen and when I got Mira(new hen) she was perfectly healthy and still is, none of my other chickens have it either.
She drinks water just fine, drinks a lot too, just I have to force feed her egg with a dropped… I don’t know if I can get the full appointment seeing as it’d be about 499$.
How much is it to send her body in? I don’t have the heart to put my own chickens down so I’d have to have someone I know do it or the vet themselves do it

We think it is in fact Mareks, along with A toe fracture, ghost is being put down and cremated, my silkie got it but we found a potential cure since she just now became paralyzed

Attachments

• 11A0E826-7C82-4619-81F7-90E75F57F33E.jpeg
    11A0E826-7C82-4619-81F7-90E75F57F33E.jpeg
    606.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom