Hatch-Along - Setting eggs this weekend (Jan5/6) WHOS WITH ME!

I did my weigh-ins today and one of my incubators is having them lose their optimal amounts of weight nearly perfectly. The other is having them keep their weight on a tad too much. I'll fix that by lowering the humidity though. The really good news is that all of my eggs seem viable so far. Hopefully that stays true to the end.

I did my weigh-ins today and one of my incubators is having them lose their optimal amounts of weight nearly perfectly. The other is having them keep their weight on a tad too much. I'll fix that by lowering the humidity though. The really good news is that all of my eggs seem viable so far. Hopefully that stays true to the end.
wee.gif
That is great!

egg
EGG!
Important Egg

1st Egg of 2013 here !!!!

Also, First (other than 4 pullet eggs) since the hens reacted to the odd weather by going into moult in SEPT!
& 1st from Ugly my EE, since I put her w/ the new pure (Black) Ameraucana “BlueJeanBoy” (as in Blue gene) the only Roo Ugly has ever let w/in 5 ft of herself, and they were rubbing shoulders at the feeder last week…

The Egg is darker green & larger than her pullet eggs last yr.
This egg is oddly oval and I’m not certain I have the correct end up, but

The Egg is in the bator !!! (gotta test fertility, right)

It should hatch just after any of the Maran eggs, on or about Groundhog Day w/ the Ducks.
Can you tell how thrilled I am?”
Congrats!!
ya.gif
highfive.gif

I also started some eggs on the 5th - I had 6 lavender ameraucana and 6 wheaten marans shipped. All 6 of the ameraucana eggs are looking good - the marans eggs I really can't make anything out.
I started a bunch of my own EE eggs at the same time (maybe about 2 dozen?) - they were old, and had been refrigerated, so I didn't expect too much, but none developed :( But I can always try again.

I put three silkie eggs into the bator on the 8th - my silkie laid her first eggs and I figured I'd give them a shot! Two are definitely developing, one has a blood ring, I think, but I'm going to give it a few more days to be sure. They should be black, possibly showgirls. I am excited, they'll be my first homegrown and hatched chicks!

Sending good vibes your way!!
fl.gif

I wish we had weighed our darker ones, so hard to see the veining, but we haven't done anything more than use a flashlight our in the henhouse to look quick when Gracie got up for a stretch, so more our faulty technique than anything else. We did see veins clearly in the lighter ones, so Gracie is doing good so far!

Congrats!!
ya.gif
highfive.gif

Sending good vibes your way!!
fl.gif

I wish we had weighed our darker ones, so hard to see the veining, but we haven't done anything more than use a flashlight our in the henhouse to look quick when Gracie got up for a stretch, so more our faulty technique than anything else. We did see veins clearly in the lighter ones, so Gracie is doing good so far!
Try sneaking to the coop at night & keeping everything as dark as possible. It will be easier to candle in the dark & easier to get the eggs from Gracie when she is drowsy.

So we candled our eggs today which is day 6, we couldn't wait any longer! Out of the ten there was probably about 6 or 7 that we could see the veins but we have Maran eggs so they are very dark and hard to see through so we were kinda disappointed with the results because we really don't know how many good ones we truly have. So take a look at some of the pictures and see what you guys think!

I "think" #2, #4, and #7 look good to me, but it's hard to tell. Did you see any wiggling at all?

I have Marans eggs too. I just candled all 7 of mine AGAIN and it is day 7 for them. They are all developing but #3. I saw significant wiggling and a little black dot moving around like crazy in all of them except #3. I think #3 is done. :(
I use a Brinsea High Intensity Candler.

Here are some pictures from tonight..

#3 - Not developing. Not wiggling or anything.

#5 - a very dark egg but you can still see the dot. It is wiggling and moving everywhere.

#6 - slightly less dark so you can see the development a little better. Two different angles and two different camera settings. You can see the air cell very good on both.

I took a video but it was pretty much useless. LOL.. too dark.

I have a couple pictures to share. 2 are from the incubator and the last I pulled out from under the hen. I'm assuming that the 3rd one is no good. Would you say so too? The 2nd one was also full of veins but I downloaded the wrong photo of it. The black spot in the 2nd photo sure was wiggling all over.

Back
Top Bottom